Are intellectuals prejudiced?

like thinking they are smarter and more qualified than the laymen for example. looking down on them. sometimes i think maybe intellectuals are subverted, living in their heads and thoughts, other times i think maybe they are just smarter than me and think about different things.

3 Likes

They are smart in their field of study but they may also wrongly think that they are right about everything which is not true.

7 Likes

No they donā€™t. jk :smile:

2 Likes

@zeno you are wrong.
There are people/intellectuals who have the entire package:
They are smart in all domains of cognition and are diverse and have extensive understanding of a wide
variety of things.

2 Likes

Yes but no one can study everything.

3 Likes

I view myself as one despite no career or degree haha, but yes I think so. Iā€™m okay with it because Iā€™ve never been popular, was bullied, and never had a girlfriend. Constantly lonely and berated.

I know some of my stuff really well. Some people are just smarter either they are born that way or they overcome the obstacles. I never was into certain things like sports or drugs or anything like that. I never was into sex and gambling or crazy stuff. I was a nerd.

I paid my dues by studying hours by myself with no one to motivate me or tell me to. I did it for myself. Nobody told me to take the classes I took. I am very biased and because of what I went through (horrendous hell-like repetitious stuff over and over again in unthinkable and unimaginable ways ā€“ even impossible ways) I am very biased and prejudiced now. Especially in the media, I am prejudiced toward elite scientists, journalists, media companies, and the Left.

I am so sick of it. Iā€™m sure people hate me and donā€™t like me. But I donā€™t really care. I have my faith, family, and country and thatā€™s all I really need.

Like scientists are proven wrong all the time. And when proven wrong, they just flip their switch and say ā€œscientific methodā€ oops. Thatā€™s why I prefer math. Itā€™s the most purest form of science out there. Physics doesnā€™t even come close sometimes. Like with quantum mechanics now theyā€™re saying itā€™s not just for small objects. If you said that a couple years ago, theyā€™d ridicule and say you were crazy and stupid ā€“ the same people. Now, they are pushing the idea. Itā€™s very, very political like politics and sports and media: science is. Donā€™t forget that.

If you ever watched the big ban theory tv show you know about string theory vs loop quantum gravity debate and how competitive and fierce they are. Money and careers are made and broken over funding and prestige.

Iā€™ve seen a lot of doucheā€™s or intellectuals on quora (worse than reddit). If you say you like quantum mechanics and want a degree theyā€™ll say itā€™s like getting a degree in french grammar. Pretty insulting. I mean itā€™s sort of true, but then I donā€™t buy the whole physics agenda and physics curriculum and teaching. I donā€™t like the fact that the government runs all the labs. I rather stick to math or computer science honestly.

Plus the pay isnā€™t that well. I always envied physics and was scared of it, but Iā€™m learning to not be so. Physicists are humans like me and you and they definitely can be bias about their beliefs in God or no God and aliens and all those thingsā€¦they make mistakes too.

Sabine is a genius and successful but is studying a field I think will obviously lead to no-where in the grand scheme of things : loop quantum gravity. Iā€™m more of a string theory believer. But who am I to say these things? Iā€™m clearly a nobody as they would say to me on quora lol.

Personally, Iā€™m pretty pissed off about getting schizophrenia on purpose (given it deliberately) whether through the government, Illuminati, or aliens, and having my life ruined. I guess my mind was and life was channeled/guided towards being a potential thinker or scientist someday, but I donā€™t know. Obviously, they didnā€™t want me being an economist or Investment banker of all things. I would have hated the job. I would have been a complete douche and a completely different person. But I rather be a douche than have schizophrenia any day unfortunately haha.

2 Likes

Nearly everyone is prejudiced. Drawing broad conclusions from specific examples is one of the ways that the human mind works. It is even one of the main ways that science works.

4 Likes

I guess i a couple a years ago would have qualified as an ā€œintellectualā€, a master in literature and religion, and i had published novels, collections of poetry, but that didnā€™t make smart og superior in any way.

Now i just feel stupid and numb and obsessed with exactly the same problems as anyone else with a SZ disorder.

3 Likes

I am, and always have been an Empath. I understand peoples emotions at times, better than they know themselves. Trouble is - ā€œi get fed offā€ as well - and if someones upset - i will genuinly feel it too, and i will feel their emotions and get upset.

Does it make me clever - no not really. But i always have a strange reaction from toddlers alot of the time - where they will smile and wave at me, whilst the mothers looking bloody confused. Trouble is you dont always wanna say hello or wave back - cos in todays current climate you might be accused of being a nonce.

5 Likes

My guess is, the simple answer is, it would depend on the intellectual.

1. The ā€˜manifoldā€™ of variation between IQ sub tests increases with increasing IQ.

In other words, while people of moderately high intelligence tend to be all-rounders, about equally good at all the IQ sub tests; people of the highest levels of intelligence are much more specialized in their abilities. Their very high abilities tend to be restricted to particular sub tests or sub-domains of the intelligence tests.

A super-adept mathematician 4 SDs above average in number and symbol tasks is usually less than super at linguistic tasks (probably above average, but maybe not much above average) - while a literary super genius may be, often is, only very moderately good at mathematics.

(e.g. CS Lewis - clearly with extremely high intelligence in the linguistic domain - was utterly unable to pass the school certificate mathematics exam despite many attempts - probably set to be passable by the top ten-fifteen percent of the population.)

3 Likes

Intelligence is over rated.

2 Likes

Laypeople arenā€™t usually experts at what a person is interested in, by default. If someone wants to excel at something specific, laypeople are kind of draining to deal with.

1 Like

I would Love TO know lots and lots of things books wise.

Stuff to talk about is awesome.

But my motivation to study or read etc etc is low
And has been for a long long time

3 Likes

It might come back. Donā€™t give up hope.

2 Likes

Thankyou Johnny boy thatā€™s really sweet of you.

1 Like

Can you concentrate?

1 Like

I can concentrate better now on 2.5mg than 15 mg abilify.

However, the concentration is still not back to prepsychosis levels.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t
@anon28145038. The more I learn the more I realize what I donā€™t Know. Iā€™ve been told all my life that Iā€™m intelligent but I donā€™t know about that. I just study a lot of things. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with being you Johnny. If you have the gift of intelligence thatā€™s ok. If you donā€™t fit in cos youā€™re a nerd well Iā€™m a nerd too and I donā€™t fit in either. Itā€™s ok.

As far as dating goes I prefer geeks. I was smitten over an ubergeek once. Met him in the library. He was even dressed like a geek and when I saw his compassionate ugly nerdy face (he was ugly) I knew he was a dream!

1 Like

Absolutely. I believe everyone is. Everyone believes their own approach to anything, is the right or along the right way.

only the humble see it as otherwise ā€” and generally, only people who have or are, going through struggle appreciate what it is to be humble enough to see things from another perspective.

I feel so at least.