Are humans special or are we just basically advanced animals?

Animals, but not even advanced animals. An advanced animal would be one that can survive for a long time.

1 Like

I was just about to post something to that effect. But youā€™ve said it so well, thereā€™s no need

3 Likes

We are destructive animals related to apes.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think we are that advanced. Trees have been evolving longer and they live hundreds of years. They donā€™t even need to hunt for food, just lay there and collect what comes to them for free. The clever ones even learned to grow indoors so humans can water and feed them. Crafty little Groots.

3 Likes

Humans are special in that:

• Humans clothe themselves compared to animals
  • Read & Write written languages
  • Speak & listen to different vocal languages
  • Build infrastructures such as buildings, bridges and roads
  • Invent the wheel, the square, the rectangle, the triangle
  • Use mathematical equations in arithmetic, calculus and geometry
  • travel beyond the earthā€™s atmosphere beyond low earth orbit
  • Land a human on the moon
  • Use hand tools to create and assist larger objects
  • Consume every natural resource such as oil, wood, water, land, fire that is available on earth
  • Manipulate electricity

I totally agree.

4 Likes

id say both. Weā€™re animal based but weā€™ve clearly ascended in the sense of being able to comprehend and contemplate the truth. For example to be able to use rationality to predict future events, improve ourselves, etc. Weve sort of transended the animal nature in us to make us like Gods in a wayā€¦and yet we are so fallen. Sort of paradoxical beings i guessā€¦

3 Likes

ā€¦Just leaving these here:

1 Like

Half animal, half divine

3 Likes

It is my belief that the role of being human is meant to be a steward of Earth. Hubris has lead us to believe we are special in the sense that nature is to be controlled and dominated, but I think the opposite is true. I donā€™t know, I donā€™t want to go to deep, but for a species that brags about our intelligence, it is scary to see how harmful we are to our own home. It is scary to see people deny the effects mass production has on the environment, and due to not acknowledging it we also miss out on opportunities to fix the planet.

Iā€™m sorry if this got too political, I donā€™t really view it as a political issue, but more of a planetary issue. Its been bothering me a lot lately.

To answer the main question of the thread, are humans special? Undoubtedly, but thatā€™s not necessarily a good thing. Iā€™m not all doom and gloom, Iā€™ve seen a lot of amazing things humans have accomplished, and there are many people fighting the good fight to protect nature and advance society. Iā€™m also a bit of a hypocrite, but Iā€™m trying to make changes to be more green and nature centric.

Also, I do have hope that we can learn to be more efficient, and that a green world hardly means a world lacking in technology.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think you got too political. Thanks for your post!

1 Like

I am a clever animal.

No ankle can escape me.

2 Likes

Well, we were once apes who just happened to evolve. Our large brain sets us apart.

2 Likes

It depends how special and important you make it. We donā€™t even know where we are and what time it is in the vast universe.

2 Likes

I think we are at the top. People are saying we arenā€™t better than animals. But look at nature and other animals. Thereā€™s food chains, pecking orders, Alpha males, survival of the fittest, predators and prey etc. Call a spade a spade. Weā€™re the dominant species on earth. We run this joint. Iā€™m not saying we shouldnā€™t respect animals but thereā€™s very little real equality in raw nature and the animal kingdom.

3 Likes

Totally agree. Humans are the main driving inhabitants of this planet.

Other questions arise:

• Why do humans congregate into villages, town and cities unlike other animals?
  • Why do kingdoms and empires rise & fall?
  • Why are humans segregated into different racial groups?
  • Are humans really the only intelligent species within the Milky Way Galaxy?

Similar to other animals

• Social order established with groups of humans/animals where a leader emerges
  • Gather food and produce waste
  • Birth, procreation and death (Survival of the Fittest)
  • Basic emotions and motivations in animals and humans
  • Similar anatomical bodies such as a skeleton, skin, head, body and limbs

Difference in anatomy when compared to animals

• Oppose-able Thumb similar to other apes
  • Some hair/fur around the body but mostly skin surrounds the human body.
  • Humans have a hairline around the scalp unlike that of other apes
  • Humans are bi-peds similar to most apes
  • The human forehead & skull is quite large compared to other primates and animals
1 Like

@Bowens What made you ponder the question, ā€œAre humans special or are we just basically advanced animals?ā€

2 Likes

Am I special because I can ask, ā€œWho am I?ā€

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what prompted my thinking about it. Was just sitting there pondering and it popped into my mind and it seemed like it would be a good topic.

3 Likes

Interesting. Kinda of like the guy pictured below, eh?!

3 Likes

I think weā€™d be singing a different tune if we had natural predators.

4 Likes