Are antidepressants good sleeping pills?

I am on Abilify 5mg (to be 15mg eventually) and 36mg Concerta (switching to a non-stimulant soon) meaning that the insomnia is intense. By default, I do have severe insomnia. I have used antipsychotics Seroquel (partially for sleep, mostly for psychosis at 300mg) and Zyprexa (I think around 7mg for sleep before I began struggling with psychosis). Antipsychotics for sleep are far too sedating and unreliable. My brain was fogged (despite still having psychosis) and I had serious hypotension. I was always passing out on the more sedating ones.
Which prompts me to the question, would antidepressants be great for insomnia? I once took 6 melatonin and slept for 20 minutes. That is how awful my insomnia is (and this was before Abilify and Concerta).

I only know 2,mirtazapine and trazodone.
Antidepressants is also for anxiety so If ur having anxiety insomnia it may help.
Im on Mirtazapine and Valeriana myself.

1 Like

Amitryptiline (spelling?) made me sleep like a baby

1 Like

I have found trazadone to be adequate for my needs. I’d like more but I feel at this time optimum sleep is an impossibility.

1 Like

I only lasted 7 days on Abilify due to insomnia. I tried antihistamines and trazadone but could not sleep right.
Right now I take 1 mg Haldol in morning and 100 Seroquel at night.

1 Like

I need something that makes me very sleepy to take in case of panic or anxiety attacks so I will sleep instead of feeling anxious.

2 Likes

I take the following meds for severe insomnia. And they all work great together.

Seroquel 100 mg. an antipsychotic
Trazodone 50 mg. an antidepressant
Melatonin 6 mg. a hormone
Klonipin 0.5 mg as needed. a benzodiazepine

1 Like

I was on Pamelor, and it knocked me out at night.

It’s a tricyclic antidepressant. Was an ok med, just wasn’t strong enough for my depression.

1 Like

I take Doxepin for sleep. I don’t think it works anymore, but the loxapine I take (old school AP) works great.

1 Like

After Abilify, I have been feeling very anxious. I normally do not have anxiety unless if my psychosis overwhelms me.

Zoloft is activating. Clozapine makes me tired.

1 Like