April 14, 2020 10pm Premier of Documentary "The Definition of Insanity" on PBS

This documentary is premiering on PBS tonight, Tuesday April 14, 2020 at 10pm.

"About the film

The Miami-Dade Criminal Mental Health Project (CMHP) comes to life in this documentary, following a team of dedicated public servants working through the courts to steer people with mental illness — as their court cases hang in the balance — on a path from incarceration to recovery.

An exploration of the Miami-Dade Criminal Mental Health Project (CMHP) — a novel approach to solving the mental health crisis that could be a model for America. Shocked by how people with mental illness were treated in Miami-Dade’s jails, Judge Steve Leifman works with a team of dedicated public servants, as well as former adversaries in the criminal justice system, to help people with mental illness navigate from lives of tragedy to possibility. The documentary follows a diverse group of people committed to the common goal of helping people with mental illness who enter through the courthouse doors. The film reveals a humane criminal justice approach to mental illness that is orchestrated from the court outwards into the community. From court dates to group therapy, the film follows Miami’s community-based experiment to solving the mental health crisis, where incarceration becomes the last resort and everyone from the police to prosecutors works together to support the notion that “recovery is possible.”"

2 Likes

I’d Watch it if I Could.

Whoever is Able to Check it Out. Draw Some Notes. And Let Us Know How You Felt About it (???)… . … :100:

I was helped by such a system and my life has indeed turned from tragedy to possibility. On the day of arrest by the police, they told me “let this day be the worst day of your life”. I was very fortunate I had kind and compassionate police, crown prosecutor and judge. Through my crime, I also met my current psychiatrist. They all had a huge role to play in where I am today. Perhaps one day, I would be able to reveal myself to the world with the support of all the people in my life. I hope my story from insanity to working professional will one day inspire many others, especially people with schizophrenia and help spread the love and kindness I desperately needed on the darkest days of my life to the rest of the world.