Schizophrenia.com

Apart from mental illness, why are you single?

I was being picky. I wish I would have dated the couple girls that asked me out. Hard to make a decision so quickly. Also I didn’t ask anyone out on dates. Not sure if I am great marriage material now that I have sz. I don’t know how some guys just sleep with anybody that’s interested.

1 Like

To be honest I find romantic or intimate relationships repulsive.

Haven’t been with anyone since my marriage ended.

I am single by choice.

2 Likes

Preach

I was the opposite. I had low self-esteem coming from a disfunctional family, and didn’t think anyone would want me.

2 Likes

I do not have luck with relationships… so I have decided to no longer try to find one.

3 Likes

I feel ugly, useless and broken.

It would take a friggin miracle for me to find someone else to ‘tolerate’ me

3 Likes

Cos the women i have been with usually end up having some sort of drug problem - and are more interested in my bank balance.

Im also selfish cos ive lived on my own for too long. And im prone to being a piss-artist.

Ive faired better with men. But theres none round here that ive found.

2 Likes

This. Even before getting sick I struggled with anxiety and depression like things. Personality was/is mess. Social/interpersonal difficulties before getting sick. Becoming psychotic brought these things in open.

Relationships require energy I no longer have. Didn’t have much to begin with.

2 Likes

I really don’t think this is a good idea.
I’d wait till she gets to know you a bit more then tell her.
Plus your setting yourself up to people who would take advantage of you when you advertise your mental illness diagnosis on your profile.

5 Likes

I never saw attraction. I can see beauty in a person but never had the jaw dropping experience of being attracted to someone. It never felt right to date someone just for the benefit of being with someone. I was asked out in high school but gosh I just couldn’t do it.

So in my frustration I started looking to the same sex. Well, once again no attraction.

Ultimately I am quite happy with my lot in life and have accepted how I was stitched together. People can believe nearly whatever they want about me. I don’t hurt anyone.

:smiley:

6 Likes

I don’t have the confidence to ask anyone out on a date. I have low self esteem and meds killed my libido. Plus no one wants to date a guy with my diagnosis. Also I can’t keep a conversation going. I have a fear of going on a date with some woman and sitting down and just hearing crickets the whole time.

2 Likes

Virtually every experience in my life tells me it doesn’t matter. I’ve had people that knew me before my diagnosis only to distance themselves afterwards. I’ve gotten to know people, told them later and they become cold and distant. I’ve decided to get it out of the way upfront so I don’t waste my time getting to know someone only to be rejected by them down the road. There have been a few people that I’ve told upfront, they don’t care, it’s out of the way, and we get along fine, that’s the way I like it.

I have 3 really cool women I am talking to right now even though it is the first thing in my profile, they say they don’t care so I don’t have this anxiety in the back of my mind that I have this “dirty little secret” I’m going to have to reveal at some point. In fact 2 of them said they really admired me being honest about it upfront and that is one of the reasons they swept right on my photo.

Although I am well aware putting it in my profile is scaring away a ton of women.

Thanks for the warning, but I know how to handle myself, I’m stable, symptom free and socially literate. I’m not about to hand over money and be taken advantage off. If that is their plan jokes on them, I have no money, lol

3 Likes

i don’t go out so it’s impossible to get to know someone and i don’t care much about it anyways. don’t really feel the need for somebody…

2 Likes

Because I’m not happy

1 Like

Negative symptoms make it too hard to leave my house for dates I can only run errands with my Mom

2 Likes

Me too, I feel like a big baby when hanging out with my mother or parents. I am sure ppl there who see me think I am mentally ill.

1 Like

You know that I respect and admire that it was the first thing you put on your profile. I think it was the right thing to do, and if I ever try online dating again, I will do the same.

1 Like

Same I feel like a child hanging out with my Mom all the time but I really can’t help it

1 Like

@aziz @szcat

I think you should let that go. For one, most people are too busy paying attention to themselves to care about you. Two, what’s wrong with hanging with your parents? Maybe they see it the opposite way, that you’re an adult taking care of your older parents.

I do things with my dad, Next year I’ll go to the ballet with my mom. It’s a nice thing to do.

3 Likes

Thanks @Pandy, you’re so kind and supportive! :smiley:

1 Like