Schizophrenia.com

Anyone with sz getting a COVID19 vaccine?

Age is talked about every 5 seconds on the news

I’ve heard our prime minister apologetically mention schizophrenia and bipolar once
Yes we are proioritised now (before end of April) but I’m sure most average people don’t even know why as he said nothing

Worst case of discrimination / stigma I’ve Ever Seen

I’ve not even seen it mentioned on the news the reasoning I mean

1 Like

It’s actually making me Really Angry

1 Like

There should be interviews with schizophrenics
Recording on the news of us being vaccinated
Appeals for us to come forward maybe
Might write to my mp
We don’t have a voice

1 Like

I don’t know if SZ people will be asked to shield now or not. Have been trying to find out on the internet, but no luck

Would really suck if they decide to do this now, after we have been exposed to the virus for nearly a year now.

1 Like

I’ve seen on here, the research for a while
Nothing in the mainstream tv news
Probably on page 13 in the papers but it is criminal, the lack of reporting

There probably isn’t enough of us for them to be bothered.

I would be very surprised if we’re not asked to shield based on what I have seen here

Age is such a lazy approach but I suppose at the rate they’re going, it won’t be long now.

1 Like

We are 1 in 100
That is a common illness really
Yes we are in for vaccine before end of April
It’s shocking under reporting
I just complained to the BBC
Like you said, you can’t even search for it

I kinda think younger people should get vaccinated earlier or at the same time as elderly folks, especially younger folks with disabilities. They have much more life ahead of them. There was a story on the news recently here in California featuring a young man with a serious physical disability who shook constantly as he talked. He was basically begging for vaccination, and there was a doctor on who said he was a much better candidate for the shot than a healthy 65 year old man, yet California continues to prioritize the old over everybody else.

1 Like

They have to make it a broad catchment
No resources to do people individual assessment
We are a huge, definable group
So are disabled, I agree

Unpaid carers, they prioritised in Scotland though and logistically that’s massive

I’m amazed there’s such a shortage of vaccines. Are they that hard to manufacture? Two of our mass vaccination sites have shut down due to vaccine shortages. And then I hear stories about older folks who decide not to get vaccinated. Are you kidding me? Having it available and saying no? This is life and death, everybody should get vaccinated.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t support constant flu vaccines for myself, but this is different. This is like the polio vaccine… it is so important that it basically trumps all the vaccination fears people have. It’s gonna end up being one of the shots you get when you’re young to be allowed in public schools. It’s that important.

1 Like

California recently updated the vaccine guidelines to include those at higher risk due to severe health conditions or severe high-risk disability.

Here’s an excerpt of the information and a link to the website.

Vaccinating those at higher risk

Beginning March 15, healthcare providers may use their clinical judgement to vaccinate individuals aged 16-64 who are deemed to be at the very highest risk to get very sick from COVID-19 because they have the following severe health conditions:

• Cancer , current with weakened immune system
  • Chronic kidney disease , stage 4 or above
  • Chronic pulmonary disease, oxygen dependent
  • Down syndrome
  • Solid organ transplant, leading to a weakened immune system
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease
  • Heart conditions , such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies (but not hypertension)
  • Severe obesity (Body Mass Index ≥ 40 kg/m2)
  • Type 2 diabetes mellitus with hemoglobin A1c level greater than 7.5%

OR

If as a result of a developmental or other severe high-risk disability one or more of the following applies:

• The individual is likely to develop severe life-threatening illness or death from COVID-19 infection
  • Acquiring COVID-19 will limit the individual’s ability to receive ongoing care or services vital to their well-being and survival
  • Providing adequate and timely COVID care will be particularly challenging as a result of the individual’s disability.

2 Likes

Schizophrenia is a worse indicator than any of the above

1 Like

That’s great to hear! I wasn’t trying to suggest I was on that list, just that it shouldn’t be 100% based on age. There are some severely immuno-compromised folks out there who are in a different age group.

That being said, I’m very happy that my grandparents in Virginia have had both of their shots. My mother is 57 but has a chronic disease that compromises her immune system. I guess we’ll have to talk to our doctors about it now that the requirements have changed, thanks for the heads up.

My mom’s disease is called Interstitial Cystitis and isn’t widely known because it’s not common. Hopefully it qualifies her.

1 Like

@agent101g I would recommend contacting your pdoc and asking them if they are aware of recent studies on schizophrenia and covid-19. Then ask if schizophrenia would be covered under the “severe high-risk disability” portion of the guidelines. The guidelines mention that “clinical healthcare providers may use their clinical judgement” so it’s worth asking your pdoc.

1 Like

Yeah, your mom should definitely contact her doctor as well regarding her specific medical condition.

1 Like