Anyone willing to help me with some SSI information

I can’t get a job. I can’t do a job. At least not full-time. I had to quit my last (and only) part-time job because of episodes where i was deeply delusional and acted in in very strange ways.

It says on the SSI website that I need to have like two years of work experience to qualify for benefits.

I became ill at 17 and had to drop out of school. I’m now 20. Doesn’t not-being-able-to-go-to-school count as not-being-able-to-go-to-work?

Living with my parents, and my Dad specifically, triggers me deeply, as my dad and i don’t get along and never have.

I simply am stuck and don’t know what to do to earn money and get out of the house.

Sorry if this was jumbled…anyone willing to help it would be appreciated

I get floodtides of suicidal thoughts every time after i fight with my Dad. living with him is really hard and I can’t go on any further without financial assistance.

Can’t you apply for ssdi instead of ssi because you got sick so young? It’s better.

1 Like

from the the website that popped up from a ‘ssdi’ google search…

To qualify for Social Security disability benefits, you must first have worked in jobs covered by Social Security. Then you must have a medical condition that meets Social Security’s definition of disability. In general, we pay monthly cash benefits to people who are unable to work for a year or more because of a disability.

I would talk to a disability lawyer in your area. There must be something they can do.

I hope you get benefits.

5 Likes

have your doctor sign something that says you are disabled…then it should be a cinch to get SSI. I don’t think you’ve worked long enough to get SSDI.

2 Likes

Apply for SSI. There are no work requirements. Then apply for SNAP or food stamps and section 8 housing.

It may take a while but it will get you out on your own.

7 Likes

I would obtain an attorney.
They really do help.
Best of luck!

2 Likes

This seems like the best plan. I’m actually in the process of something similar to this, honestly.

1 Like

my brother and I both have ssi. before he got his he worked in a fast food place for maybe 4 months. but my mom had to hire a lawyer for him to get it. I was easier I got it right away after working only 9 months at a retail store. the doctor at the hospital said I was disabled.

1 Like

When i got SSI the reason I didn’t qualify for SSDI was my age of being disabled and lack of work history (I mainly went to school). Back then you qualified for SSDI if you became disabled before age 22. I don’t know if the rules have changed but you may want to look at both.

1 Like

Get a lawyer. They will tell you what to do.

If u haven’t worked enough you are probably gonna have to apply for ssi instead of ssdi, also if u are young enough you can use your parents work history for ssdi benefits.