Anyone tried Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha)?

https://www.healio.com/psychiatry/schizophrenia/news/online/{872d0509-0549-4094-9347-6145e026ede3}/adjunctive-ashwagandha-shows-promise-in-schizophrenia

Ive been wanting to try this brand out to see if it actually helps, since the product is recolmmended as Amazon’s choice, usually all Amazon’s Choice Products are high quality. Just Wondering if you guys have heard of or tried this supplement before. I would like feedback…

3 Likes

From webmd.com :

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Do not use ashwagandha if you are pregnant. It is rated LIKELY UNSAFE during pregnancy. There is some evidence that ashwagandha might cause miscarriages. Not enough is known about the use of ashwagandha during breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Diabetes: Ashwagandha might lower blood sugar levels. This could interfere with medications used for diabetes and cause blood sugar levels to go to low. If you have diabetes, monitor your blood sugar closely.

High or low blood pressure: Ashwagandha might decrease blood pressure. This could cause blood pressure to go to low in people with low blood pressure; or interfere with medications used to treat high blood pressure. Ashwagandha should be used cautiously if you have low blood pressure or take medications for your blood pressure.

Stomach ulcers: Ashwagandha can irritate the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Don’t use ashwagandha if you have a stomach ulcer.

“Auto-immune diseases” such as multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), or other conditions: Ashwagandha might cause the immune system to become more active, and this could increase the symptoms of auto-immune diseases. If you have one of these conditions, it’s best to avoid using ashwagandha.

Surgery: Ashwagandha may slow down the central nervous system. Healthcare providers worry that anesthesia and other medications during and after surgery might increase this effect. Stop taking ashwagandha at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

Thyroid disorders: Ashwagandha might increase thyroid hormone levels. Ashwagandha should be used cautiously or avoided if you have a thyroid condition or take thyroid hormone medications

thought about using it but then I decided to stick to plants in temperate zones. withania somnifera grows in india I think. so instead I planted a big batch of thyme, dry that and make a tea out of it…I like it

I took 900mg of Swansons ashwagandha yesterday. I felt less anxious, more relaxed. Seemed to urinate more.
Might look to see if there is a smaller dose. May take it prn for stress.

I see that 2 pills are 900mg. I took 1 450 mg pill…

Tried it, but together with several other herbs, in a period when I was desperate to find a solution for medication withdrawal issues, so I don’t know which herb did what. Together they caused some of the same trouble meds did (emotional numbing, sedation, fatigue). Not sure which herb was the problem, so I decided to throw away all of them and try live with as little meds and herbs as possible.

1 Like

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3757622/

Not for me, I tried it, it didn’t help at all:

Thank you for posting that, I saw it can affect thyroid which I have problems with.

1 Like

It gives energy, reduces anxiety, improves testosterone and thus better erections. It can improve thyroid function so you might need to change thyroid medication dose if taking it. It can increase blood iron levels as it have more iron content.