Anyone stopped meds after stable years?

I would stop if i could be stable for years.
I’m not stable even for days

Even I want to stop meds

I m stable now

I have a feeling that I would continue to be stable even after stopping meds

But I am not sure if it’s a wise thing to do

So for now I am continuing with the meds

Let’s see

I don’t think it works like that. I’ve been told by numerous doctors that they have had patients that feel good, quit their meds, and relapse. Usually this disorder is permanent.

I was also told every time you quit and restart your meds they can become less effective. Quit and restart too many times and they may not work at all.

If you’re stable and meds have tolerable side effects, my advice is to stay on them.

3 Likes

Research show that a small percentage of people recover completely. This happens more in, say, India rather than in the USA.

1 Like

Can you recover from schizophrenia? - Living With Schizophrenia (livingwithschizophreniauk.org)

i am on aa low dose and tried to taper off, sstopped completely with my dr supervision, i got unwell again very soon after so i think i tapered down too fast,

i’m now looking for a substitute for my AP and hoping an anti depressant will be just as good, i need to talk to my psychiatrist about it though. if it workss it will be a win for me.

1 Like

I had a doctor take me off meds. 10 months later I had setback and neighbors called police on me. I lost my house as a result.

I tried a couple of times, was very expensive as I lot a lot and ended up in hospital

If you are taking the right meds, you are going to be stable. A common error that people make is that they quit the meds when they feel good, but you feel good because your meds are working. Going off the meds will cause you to go downhill. I wish people understood that.

2 Likes

Sustaining full recovery in schizophrenia after 15 years: does resilience matter? - PubMed (nih.gov)

This is hard science.

I think the number of years to come off meds depends number of years it took to diagnose you after first symptoms arose… I know one person who came off meds in 3 years and he is living happily for last 20 years

2 Likes

How many episodes had he had?

When I don’t get my med’s I experience really intense anger. It’s too much for me. I can’t control it. Besides, who wants to be in a rage all the time?

Yes
Spent over a year in hospital after trying it

Stable 5 years before

Now on meds 16 years with no hospital

Lets ask ourselves about the traumas we need to address, please.
I have never had a Psychiatrist ask me about my Childhood Traumas in any therapeutic inquiry.
What else are we talking about… Than the glass abusive people sweep under rugs? We all see society is full of lies & abuse us… It seems to me…
Apparently if a person counts 4 of these ACE scores the risk of suicide goes up over %1200.
I find there are many phony profiteers sweeping glass under rugs about traumas.

I count about 9-10 of these ACE scores.
So altho I feel the validity exists in these traumas …
I also consider myself blessed to be as functional as I am. While “statisticians are damn liars” along with Collegiate class divisions of Doctoral followers of indoctrinating leaders enforcing social controls. Theyre too often a bunch of ■■■■■■■■ that read black & white text without looking for the love in someone’s eyes… plain & simple.

Im on a mild dose of meds currently… Yet, my Doctor is leaving now…
Maybe he understood my points & is overwhelmed by guilt… Idk…
Overall…
Be kind please… Please walk away from abusive people … even family…
I know it hurts… But family are often the beguiled ones that pull wool over our eyes with abuse…
Please seek therapy & advocates that help you defend yourself…

Hopefully meds can ■■■■ off one day… Yet, I feel we all need to be more patient & kind with the broken hearts we have.

Just my feelings from my broken heart & mind.

Hugs