Anyone on an MAOI?

Just wondering. What’s the diff between these and newer antidepressants?

I tried one years ago because of some side effects. Didn’t do very well on it and went back to effexor! It’s a different drug so acts differently on the brain. Not sure the technical aspects.

1 Like

Yeah I was just doing some research into it.

1 Like

From what I understood they had supposedly better side effect profiles for things like sexual side effects. As I said it didn’t work for me. I’d suggest you talk to your doc if your thinking of it…it’s a bit of a lottery but a good doc will have an idea!

1 Like

I was on one in the late 70s. I had to have a special diet while on it.

2 Likes

damn @firemonkey…wish I’d known that one! Glad I got off of them well and surprised doc wasn’t over all that. He’s pretty switched on!

1 Like

I’m on an MAOI (20mg Parnate) for over a year, it’s the only AD that helped against suicidal thoughts. However, I can’t go higher than 20mg since it provokes positive symptoms when I try it. The positive thing though, I don’t have to keep to the special diet since 20mg is the lowest dose. The negative thing is is that I’m not getting the full AD properties because of that.

Parnate and Nardil are making a comeback in depression/anxiety since they’re the only anxiolytic/AD drug with a response rate of 80%.

2 Likes

I was on a MAOI briefly, a long time ago. I was on Trilafon too. They said the two drugs enhance each other. I didn’t like either one, though Trilafon wasn’t bad as antipsychotics went back then.

1 Like