Anyone know anyone who died from alcoholism / had Korsakoff’s syndrome?

im asking because my sister is very unwell
possible korsakoff syndrome if it’s not too much to suggest it
she’s frequently confabulating and she’s been very apathetic
she’s bulimic as well as having pretty extreme alcoholism from a young age
can korsakoff start gradually? she’s not had werninks

1 Like

What is korsakof’s? I think I know but pls set me straight. Thanks!

1 Like

yeah i’ve been looking it up
im not sure that’s why i’m asking
it can start gradually and without wernicke’s encephalopathy
i need to talk about her symptoms with someone but a doctor probably won’t talk to me and she won’t talk to a doctor

1 Like

Yeah, one cousin of my grandma who I used to see frequently died at 40 something from an alcohol related death.

1 Like

If one has Korsakoff’s one should take high doses of thiamine(vitamin B1). At least 500mg daily I would suggest. You should read up on it. It’s a established method of countering Korsakoff in the medical community.

1 Like

I’ve known some who have died from alcoholism. AA doesn’t work for everyone.

3 Likes

What made you decide to quit? And I remember you being atheist… don’t they make you submit to a higher power in AA or am I mistaken about that?

1 Like

I was homeless and very ill. I actually went to the first few meetings to warm up and load up on free coffee. Stayed because I wanted what others had and I didn’t.

That’s right.

No.

Yes.

2 Likes

A friend of mine drank himself to death, very sad. He was passionate and intelligent in spite of sz.

1 Like

My Dad drank himself to death. I’m doing similar.

2 Likes

???

1 Like

To me GOD = Group Of Drunks.

I cannot pull a car up a hill by myself.

I get 99 other drunks pulling on that rope with me and we’re getting that car up the hill no problem.

If you’re ever in a 12 Step meeting and someone tries to push their religion on you, suggest to them that it is generally better if they work their own program instead of trying to work yours.

2 Likes

Or Good Orderly Direction.

2 Likes

A girl in my group home in the 80’s died from alcoholism and bulimia.

3 Likes

Only if my wife is around.

:grin:

2 Likes

I’ve known many people who died of alcoholism.

1 Like

My grandpa drank himself to death when i was a little kid, i only have few memories of him.

2 Likes

My sister’s stepdaughter came down with Wenicke’s syndrome at 43. She’s now disabled. She used to be a chief Financial Officer of a major company but now she can no longer be in charge of her own money. It’s really sad. The good news is she’s sober and no longer needs a wheelchair. But she does still need a new liver.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.