Anyone here have a learning disability?

I have a learning disability but I didn’t get thoroughly diagnosed, so I’m not sure what aspects of learning I have trouble with.

I plan on taking a French course and I’m curious as to how my LD will affect my ability to learn the language.

What strategies did you use to pre or post illness to overcome some of your learning difficulties?

1 Like

Almost certainly with a much higher VIQ than PIQ, but was never diagnosed. Back when I was a child/ teenager- early 60s to mid 70s- if you were above average intelligence the possibility of having a learning disability was very much discounted . Learning problems then were very much seen as a low IQ thing.

2 Likes

I listen to audiobooks as I don’t have the concentration to read now.

2 Likes

I found learning to be much less of a problem when my mind was less distracted and distressed by the voices. My Mom once claimed I had one.

3 Likes

I avoid math as much as possible. Otherwise I use a calculator. :blush:

4 Likes

I was diagnosed with a learning disability in elementary school. So I got that label, hurray one of my first official diagnoses. What really was going on was that I was being tormented on the play ground and used most of my time in class to acquire allies against bullies on the play ground, so teachers kicked me out of class during lessons and I fell behind. Luckily my mom got me out of public school and into a private school and I reintigrated at grade level in high school, but they would not drop the label. It was not until I got into college and got A+'s in most subjects (nothing lower than a B) and was asked to join the honors society that this f-u-c-k-e-d label rotted off my forehead.

What I am trying to say, alot of times K-12 public schools apply labels (just like psychiatrists do), really its because they would rather label, pill, and warehouse people they don’t want to spend time, effort, or money to help really shine in the world.

You can do anything you really want to if you don’t have some sort of brain damage – even resolve your psychosis – plenty people have proven themselves exceptional and mislabeled, often because they were exceptional.

Don’t let the bastards grind you down.

3 Likes

Wow great inspiring post thank you!

1 Like

When I’m in a class that’s challenging sometimes I get by by recopying everything. Make sure not to let yourself be confused. If you’re unsure of a concept, break it down step by step till you understand it. Do things the dumb way… highlight afterwards so you get the key concepts…

2 Likes

Strangely. Despite my mental illness, I am VERY VERY intelligent. I had a high IQ in school. However, I do have problems taking in and evaluating information at times. I get extremely frustrated trying to process information. Sometimes I need someone else to explain or put the information in verbal words in order to understand completely. I have an Associates of Science in Paralegal and I have 7 more classes to go and I will complete my Bachelors in Sociolgy. I have took two years off cause of this problem. I hope to find a resolution so I can complete my degree.

1 Like