Anyone have trouble talking?

yea i’m also autistic… like several here i noticed.
i’ll look it up maybe i can use it too =)

2 Likes

I go more or less mute if my emotional distress is too severe.
I want to learn sign language so I’d have some way of making my needs known, as even my handwriting suffers when I get like that.
It’s like there’s words inside me that won’t come out.

I am good at smalltalk. The trick is to not overthink.
Smalltalk is a good way to start a bond with someone until I’m comfortable enough with them to go deeper.

1 Like

You might benefit from an AAC too. When I can’t speak, all language goes. My sign language suffers the least, but it can still be a problem for me. I think it depends on how I learned the word and how intuitive the sign is. I definitely can’t finger spell when I’m in that place. I would imagine you may have some of those issues as well since your handwriting suffers also.

1 Like

I’m ok with small talk. But I dry up after about 20 minutes conversation wise.

1 Like

My ability to speak is worse now. I get tongue tied on words, replace words with other words that I didn’t mean. Its really sad because I know thats “normal” but the frequency has increased and its frustrating. I could talk so well before.

2 Likes

I dont talk much, but I dont have people to talk with much either. Its a big struggle and leads me down crazy self analysis rabbithole.

1 Like

Do you know any free aac apps?

2 Likes

I think there may be trial versions you can get. I’m not really sure.

Some insurances will pay for one though (US). I’m not sure about the rest of the world. But, if you go through the system, you may be able to get one for free. Just, not really quickly, probably.

2 Likes

I’m not a big talker, but I am usually comfortable if someone else takes lead role in the conversation as long as we are from the same planet.

I’m mostly comfortably quiet with people I get along with too, so I don’t think it’s weird if we for example just sit at a cafe window looking at people and only occassionally talk a little bit.

I guess as long as there is some chemistry it’s all good, while it can be difficult to talk to people who are very different from me.

1 Like

Umm, er, uh, nice, (I mean good) sun today, cough.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.