Schizophrenia.com

Anyone have a college degree

I completed a diploma in cosmetology arts and got the license when I was 20 years old but never worked in the field. I thought I was too slow.

I got a bachelor’s of science degree in nursing at age 26 and joined the USAF Nurse Corp. I ended up working in the field for 10 years until I lost my license due to my sza.

Now, I’m on disability.

1 Like

I have a degree in philosophy now I work in payroll

1 Like

I am thinking of signing up for a training program right now. It’s not a degree program but it’s four months of training. I will become a project management professional PMP and get a six sigma certification.

It’s Monday through Thursday 5 pm to 9 pm for four months. I have 1 month and 13 days of GI Bill left so they are going to give me a scholarship for the rest. It won’t cost me anything. And for two months I will get an extra $1500 a month from the VA.

The problem is I also work full time from 8 am to 430 pm Monday through Friday. So I will have a half an hour off from my 8 hour work day and then go to school for 4 hours. It’s all online and I work from home so I don’t have to leave my house.

I have to figure out how to fit dinner and taking my meds in there somewhere. That’s very important. They also tweak your resume and offer you career placement services for the rest of your life.

It’s only four months. Maybe I can do it. We shall see. It starts soon so I have to make a decision fairly quickly.

I hope to be able to get a higher paying job without having to move. I have done a lot of project and program management in my lifetime but I don’t have the certifications.

2 Likes

Back in 1992, I was working as an RN in a hospital on a telemetry unit and in an ICU. I became depressed and suicidal and was hospitalized so, I lost my job. This counted as points against my license.

Then in 1993, I was working as an RN in a nursing home as a charge nurse on the night shift when I forgot some of my psychotropic meds at home. I diverted some patient psych meds for my own use and made the mistake of telling another nurse on duty about it. Well, that nurse told the director of nursing and she informed the state board and that was the permanent end of my license.

I could never get my license reinstated after that for many years except on a probationary basis. And it’s impossible to get hired under that condition.

Only very recently (in the last year) has it been possible for me to take a nurse refresher course at a local hospital and fully reinstate my license.

But, I am 60 years old now and close to retirement age. My last pdoc told me that my illness, sza, can’t handle the stressors of nursing. And in my experience, it can’t, to be honest.

2 Likes

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. I’ve used it for some software support jobs. Today I used it to write about 220 lines of working Lua 5.3 code, not including test code.

3 Likes

I have a simple Assoiciate Of Science in computer repair.

4 Likes

If you did a masters what would you do it in?

1 Like

My degrees were a waste of time and money. I don’t remember a thing.

Hmmmm… At the moment, probably Sociology :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have a bachelor of computer science. I didn’t go straight into programming post study, then got sick before I could start programming as a job.

I mostly just tinker nowadays, for my own amusement.

3 Likes