Anyone have a college degree

I think the stress in year one was negligible as I had done an access to HE course at college as an adult learner.

That helped me get started, but I think the stress triggers in year two built up so much for me that it all came to a head.

I passed graduation, and within 3 weeks I was found on the streets in a nearby city and some random person took me to the A&E

I was in hospital for about 5-6 weeks, and then they diagnosed me with Paranoid Schizophrenia.

It was a tough experience but I did prove that I could do education despite failing high school and leaving with no qualifications.

Much respect to everyone who tries even though they have problems to deal with

Services are much better now than they were just 7 years ago

The thought of how I 'd cope socially, and with the increased independence, at university was a significant stress inducing factor re my developing severe mental illness.
Some people do better with a modicum of stress, while for others.like myself, it can have a markedly negative effect.

i have three degrees. an engineering, science, and doctorate degree. i became schizo sick soon after graduating so i never used any of it. now i have a part time job in a deli cause i can tolerate that.

3 Likes

they say if you are stable you can work in fields like nursing. if you dont mind me askin, how was that not the case for you? what were the details involved in you losing your license?

1 Like

I have a biomedical sciences undergraduate degree and a masters in nutrition.

I only scraped a pass in nutrition and my family chucked away alllll of my degree notes cos they believed they were making me delusional (not the case!) without my ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  permissionā€¦ That is hours and hours of study and thousands of pounds worth of notes chucked awayā€¦ So disappointed. Anyways I will nvt summarise nutrition in my own time in my own way.

2 Likes

I have a degree in early childhood education. Iā€™m proud of myself because it was during the time I was diagnosed. I made it though.

2 Likes

I have a Bachelor of General Studies from 1993 and a Master of Business Administration from 2004 in International Business. All before I got sick. Since I have gotten sick I also have an Associate of Science degree in Aviation Maintenance Technology in 2017. I worked as an aircraft mechanic for a little while after I got the degree. That didnā€™t pay very well.

I currently work for the government and my masters degree got me a higher paygrade when I started working. So I guess you can say I am using it although I am not really in the MBA field.

4 Likes

What symptoms did you have back then?

Pre severe mental illness: social anxiety,depression ,no friends,physically and socially awkward, clumsy/poor coordination,

1 Like

nice, that awesome.

2 Likes

Back in the 1980ā€™s you could get a job as a computer programmer with just an Associateā€™s degree from a vo-tech college which is what I did. Nowadays you need at least a Bachelorā€™s degree and better with a Masterā€™s. I got my job in 1982 when I was 22 years old and worked until I came down with Sz and couldnā€™t do the job anymore. I first started having symptoms late at 30.

3 Likes

sorry to hear that, yea now a days you need like a masters degree to a decent job now a days. things change.

1 Like

Second year of a degree in Economics. Aiming for a Masterā€™s and also PhD level studies.

Symptoms seem controlled or in check.

2 Likes

Did my undergraduate in Sociology.

Thinking about going for a Masterā€™s at some point, but kinda on the fence about it.

Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy and Business Administration. Master of Business Administration in new venture entrepreneurship. Several licensing courses for investment banking and securities trading. Self taught software designer - named on several patents. Founded and built a fairly large software company. All pre schiz. Canadian tax course. Currently taking a bookkeeping course. Both post schiz.

6 Likes

I have a Psychology BS degree that I completed the last two years post psychosis. I also donā€™t use it. Some day I may go back and try to get a counseling degreeā€¦if I can ever make a full recovery.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a witchcraft school in New Bern? I visited my aunt there years ago when she lived there. Quaint little place.

It was correspondence school. All online now, I believe.

2 Likes

I studied civil engineering for a while

4 Likes

Iā€™ve studied many things but lack a degree in anything. Iā€™ve studied languages especially Spanish, civil engineering, Education, computers, print journalism and freelance writing

4 Likes