Anyone ever been on unemployment before?

I applied on Thursday, still waiting to hear if it gets approved. You have to file every Sunday with at least two work contacts that you applied for jobs or attempted to or something. I’m hoping it gets approved, that way I can wait this out until I can find another job in dental once the offices open back up again after the virus isn’t a threat anymore.

2 Likes

My hubby was laid off about fifteen years ago when his company went bankrupt. I think that, right now, they have postponed the requirement about applying to new jobs. You might want to look into that. In the meantime, grocery stores and gas stations are hiring if you want a temp position until you can get back into your field. Best of luck to you; I really feel for you.

3 Likes

I have! I went on it a couple of times during my psychosis and the loss of jobs that it entailed. For me, I had to have four contacts of trying a find a job a week and I can’t remember when I filed each week. I thought it was usually on a Thursday. It was online. The money would then come to a Bank of America card that they sent me.

3 Likes

I haven’t had a stable job since I was diagnosed at 21 y.o. I am now 30 y.o. So I gave up on working. My parents are rich and own many houses so idc.

4 Likes

I was a long time ago when I got out of the Navy in 1990. I was 20. They paid me $132 a week for several weeks.

Hopefully it’s more than that now. I am sure every state is different. You can probably google it.

2 Likes

The maximum unemployment benefit you can get in Louisiana is $247 per week. Hasn’t gone up much.

That isn’t much money but I guess it’s better than nothing. I just googled Louisiana unemployment benefits.

2 Likes

I was on unemployment once 44 years ago.

2 Likes

Yeah, but it was like 30 or 40 years ago. I remember waiting in lines, paperwork, and not really getting enough. But I was a 19 year old kid without a job and it was nice to get the money. But the second time, years later, it wasn’t enough to support myself.

2 Likes

If it gets approved I will receive $239 a week, not enough to cover my bills but it’s much better than nothing.

2 Likes

I did mainly volunteer work which is why I couldn’t apply for unemployment.

Still waiting to hear on if I get approved or not, I should get approved but I just keep worrying that I won’t be for some reason. And I can’t afford to live very long without income.

I hope you hear soon. and good news! I heard that the unemployment amount is going up with the bill that’s being passed. There’s also talk of help with rent or mortgages.

When I was out of work, I charged whatever I could on my credit card and then only paid the minimum amount. Also, I was able to get out 10,000 dollars from my credit card that had no interest for a year . . .

I only have one credit card with a limit of $500 on it so that won’t work for my situation :confused: I’m hoping to hear good news about the unemployment though!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.