Anyone else here have a problem with social norms/conventions throughout life?

For most of my life I have just not wanted to do the things that I felt society expects me to do. Usually if I did anything like that it would be pretty begrudgingly. I always thought I wanted to think my own way, and I think I considered rejecting social norms/conventions to be the right way to be an individual and an independent thinker. Being this way seems to have only caused me lingering problems in the long run though, and I think now I tend to think I was just wrong about things all the way through, and it’s left me kind of dead inside. Sometimes I think that feeling this way is the reason why I barely have opinions about anything anymore, other than the basic sense of whether I like something or not.

Anyway, has anyone else here felt the same way about social norms/conventions? How do you think it affected you? Do you think it’s related to developing schizophrenia?

In my case could be schizophrenia, could be due to being an Aspie. There are certain things I don’t give a flying feck about and I’ve stopped being polite about the pressure. For some reason hockey is identified with being Canadian. Not for me. I identify it with people who need to read more books. The same goes for our “national” coffee chain, which is ironically owned by a Brazillian mega-corp. No, Timmies is not Canadian and if you like their crud it’s because you don’t know what good coffee tastes like. Also? Sandwiches aren’t supposed to be rock hard.

And don’t get me started on eye contact.

Yes, i have a problem. It’s like i am two persons.

1 The guy who follow the rules and norms. of society, go to work, says decent things, have appropriate meanings about things.

2 The mad guy following my own values and norms.

Nr, 1 makes me sad and bored. Nr. 2 is dangerous (for my self) and eventually get me hospitalized.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.