Anyone else given up sugar? or addicted?

I gave up sugar on boxing day.

I feel out from under the man for the first time in ages

such a strong addiction

I’ve lost about15 lbs

I go as sweet as the occasional bit of OJ, avoid dried fruit, read packages and am reasonable as in if someone invites me round for cake that they made themselves i’ll have it and then suffer all the way back to abstinence -

2 Likes

I give in to the occasional craving for chocolate, but other than that I don’t get sugar in my diet. I take liquid french vanilla creamer in my coffee, that’s as far as it goes. oh, occasional ice cream too.

1 Like

I take a lot of sugar,if you want six pack or if you had diabeties then you had to stop sugar

I pretty much quit because I don’t have a lot of teeth left due to drinking 2 liter bottles of Dr Pepper every day in high school and not taking care of my teeth during my hard drinking yrs.

I also had a root canal go bad on one of my front teeth and they had to remove the 2 teeth around the root canal one.

It sucks getting old when you didn’t take care of your self.

I use that french vanilla creamer in my coffee too, yum!
I got on this chocolate graham pop-tarts kick and so far have tunneled through 4 boxes…grin.

1 Like

I don’t eat much sugary foods. I kinda have the sugar buds removed from my tongue. I now appreciate fruit like oranges a lot.

1 Like

First of all, congratulations on giving up on sugar, @CloudDog, it’s a smart move.
I usually don’t eat pure sugar, but I do crave unrefined carbs once in a while, these are just as bad.
Lately I have been eating some desserts - I should know better, but this is what stress does to me - Going back to a lower carb, healthier diet, starting today

1 Like

Congrats - good decision. I’m diabetic as well as SZ, so I had to give up sugars and carbs last year. I’ve lost 50 pounds and am now healthier than ever.

3 Likes

Gave up refined white sugar. I use Honey or Molasses for sweetener, organic cocoa powder, and the closest I get to sugar are the natural sugars in Reeds Ginger drinks.

When I was a kid I was diagnosed hyperactive. Put on Ritalin. That was plain wrong… no one was saying cut out the sugar!
On a daily basis I had 2 spoons of white sugar on cereal, or already sweetened kids cereals, drank loads of grape and orange soda, ate bags of those round hard candies that was pure flavored sugar, candy bars, plus had cakes, cookies, and donuts, often homemade, and there were whole cups of white sugar dumped in those mixes.
Gee, I wonder why the child was hyper?

1 Like

I’m mad addicted to sugar. (Not a metaphor for anything, just…sugar) I remember I gave up sweets for lent once and it was so hard I had to cheat and say muffins didn’t count as a sweet ahaha. That broke the addiction a while but then I went right back later. Mmmmm…candy…

Sugar is next. But this one is so hard… I do love desert. Chocolate… I can sneak that in to any meal.

I am going through the EXACT same thing. I freaking love sugar almost to an addiction maybe? I’ve just given it up cold turkey though because on my new meds it was causing panic attacks. Strangely enough I think I might have a very addictive personality. I’m really going for corn bread now though. (Minimum sugar added, not even sweet tasting corn bread). I think I’m about over that now, but I’m not sure. Just waiting for the new “best thing ever”. Kinda like fashion. Stilettos always!!!

Nope never mind. Stilettos suck. Ballet flats forever.

Beans to ballet flats. Tennis shoes only.

And then I repeat the process 10000 more times with 100000 different things.

I think I would go through a heacache and maybe fatigue for a while… But losing 15lbs sounds great.

I don’t eat sugar if I can help it. Probably everybody knows that food manufactures slip it into various foods you may not expect. Catsup (ketch-up) is an obvious example.

10 Foods with Huge Amounts of Hidden Sugar

June 4, 2014

Cookies and candy get a lot of criticism, but at least these sugary foods are honest about what they contain. The real danger lies in foods that hide their sugary nature behind fancy monikers and mile-long ingredient lists. These hidden sugars make it possible for the average American to consume 152 pounds of sugar each year, despite filling their grocery carts with savory staples and so-called health foods. Once eaten, sugar affects the brain almost exactly like another powdery white substance we know and fear – cocaine — triggering an intense addiction that compels us to seek more.

10 Foods That Have the Most Hidden Sugar

1. Condiments

Grilling a hamburger? Mixing up a batch of Grandma’s potato salad? Prepare for a sugar bomb. Ketchup, barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, steak sauces, salad dressing and, yes, even mustard all contain sugar. Some styles of BBQ sauce contain 13 grams of sugar (approximately 3 teaspoons) for every two tablespoons of condiment!

1. Yogurt

Yup. This is one of those “I thought it was healthy!” foods that are probably sabotaging your weight loss plans. An 8 ounce serving of the average fruit variety non-fat yogurt contains a staggering 47 grams of sugar (11 teaspoons)!

1. Pasta Sauce

Pasta with marinara sauce is a delicious savory meal. Too bad the hidden sugars make your body treat it like dessert. Store bought pasta sauce contains around 12 grams (around 3 teaspoons) of sugar for every half cup.

1. Dried Fruit

Unlike pasta sauce, we expect dried fruit to be sweet. Those trying to keep a healthy diet will often opt for this instead of candy, but it makes no difference to your body. Just ⅓ of a cup can have 24 grams of sugar (8 teaspoons) and it’s not all naturally occurring: Most add a healthy dose of the refined stuff (as if fruit needs to be sweeter?!).

1. Granola Bars

For some reason, we’ve been duped into assuming granola = healthy. With 12 grams (4 teaspoons) of sugar, and sometimes much more, hiding in most conventional brands, you might as well be eating a Payday.

1. Bread

Love toast with your coffee? How about a sandwich for lunch? That innocent looking slice of bread contains around 2 grams of sugar per slice (nearly a teaspoon). Even worse, if you opt for cheap bread, it’s likely added in the form of high fructose corn syrup.

1. Boxed Cereal

You don’t have to be a nutritionist to know that Lucky Charms and Frosted Flakes contain added sugar, but it’s hiding in “healthy” cereals, too. Just look at the labels of Raisin Bran (20 grams, or 5 teaspoons), Kellogg’s Smart Start (14 grams, or 3.5 teaspoons) and Kashi GoLean Crunch (13 grams, or 3-plus teaspoons).

1. Peanut Butter

It doesn’t matter whether you prefer chunky or creamy, if you’re eating any of the popular peanut butter brands, you’re getting a big dose of sugar — to the tune of 3 grams (a teaspoon) in each 2 tablespoon serving. And just think, most of the time we slather it on bread (sugar) with jelly (sugar) and then feed it to our kids!

1. Deli Meat

Bread and mayo isn’t the only thing making our sandwiches unhealthy. Most deli meats are infused with corn syrup and/or aspartame (an artificial sugar) for some strange reason.

1. Tomato Soup

Another staple that most of us have eaten since childhood. Too bad there are 10 grams (over 3 teaspoons) of sugar in the average 1/2 cup serving of canned tomato soup (usually high fructose corn syrup). Not to mention 400 mg of sodium. Blech.

A Sweetener by Any Other Name: The morals of this story are: 1) always read the label, and 2) avoid processed foods at all cost. However, even if you do these things sugar can still sneak in. That’s because it’s not always called sugar.

3 Likes

Gather rosebuds while ye may.

Also reminds me of Dandelion Wine -

I gave up sugar. Now it’s aspartame.

I haven’t checked my Mayo, and also hadn’t thought about deli meats
I know and avoid all those others and the hidden sugar in crisps or fish cakes etc I don’t have that either

I don’t eat sweets very frequently anymore or if I do I take a really small portion… Big doses of sugar always make me feel crappy afterwards. Right now I am experimenting with weaning myself off of cow’s milk. Not sure if it’s casein, lactose, hormones or pesticides but drinking milk seems to be a major trigger of inflammation for me. Greek Yogurt doesn’t seem to bother me as much. I wasn’t expecting to get a little spacey probably from withdrawal effects but my sinuses, stomach and the arthritis in my back are doing much better.

I don’t get it.

They say aspratame can give you brain cancer pob, so watch out.

Both sides have their claims about Aspartame. It’s been around for more than twenty years and consumed by millions of people but I don’t believe there’s any hard evidence that anyone has died because of it.