Anyone else feel like they’re never going to recover?

For sure man. It’s exhausting

1 Like

Yes 100% exhausting i get burnt out often.

1 Like

Im just waiting for better meds

I’ve been waiting for them since 1994. Got tired of waiting for them and got rolling on my own. Meds turn out to be an imporant piece of the puzzle, but they’re not the only one.

2 Likes

I’m getting a lot farther with therapy and this forum than I’ve gotten with meds. Meds only get you so far. They can help, but I’ve been on all of them and none of them can change what your base beliefs about things are. You have to do the work and change that stuff.

1 Like

What helped the most at the outset was trying to reframe everything in a recovery context.

“I can’t do that” became “I can’t do that right now.

“What if I fail?” became “failing is okay and will teach me useful things.”

“My life is horrible” became “today is sucky, but I can make tomorrow better.”

I’ve seen cultivating a positive attitude lead to positive results over and over again.

4 Likes

Medications were extremely effective for me. I’d say that they did 90% of the work as far as positive symptoms go. I know that this is not true of everybody. I am very fortunate that meds affected me in this way. Invega very quickly eliminated my symptoms. It took some more time for all the beliefs to completely fade, but they did with very limited effort on my part. I am lucky in this regard.

3 Likes

On the never recover boat.

I think you are selling yourself short here. You maintain a very positive attitude and that’s a massive boost to mental health in and of itself.

2 Likes
2 Likes

@shutterbug Appreciate the article.

It seems to targeted towards those with depression, stress, maybe PTSD.

Not thought disorders like SZ.

Also been refraining from complaining topics and replies.
Doing really bad. Nothing is helping.
Trying not to be negative.

1 Like

Are you fully recovered without or with antipsychotics?

1 Like

This article explains it more in the context of someone with schizophrenia

3 Likes

Both. All my life i tried to come off APs. I was twice under a community treatment order to take them by policeforce. And these days i have an option to come off. The Psychiatrist suggested it. I don’t anymore :sob:

Same here. I learned to ignore my pain by keeping busy with hobbies like gaming music etc but it keeps surfacing sometimes. I cannot not think about my bad situation and bad future. The only thing that helped is reducing my meds but then I get positive symptoms. Last time I reduced my meds I felt happy again, got out of bed and visited family and I actually enjoyed it. Now back on my higher dose I can’t feel happiness anymore and back to staying in bed 24/7. Anhedonia is caused by low dopamine I am sure. Dopamine is the motivation and pleasure neurotransmitter.

Depression/learned helplessness is very common in sz but not present in all cases. Negative symptoms are different and scientifically/medically treatment resistant.

2 Likes

I am sure those who say their negative symptoms disappeared suffered from depression instead of true negative symptoms.

2 Likes

I dont think negative symptoms ever really go away. You have good days and bad days and okay days.

You just try to do things despite them. Not easy of course.

3 Likes

I will keep dreaming about not having them one day…

2 Likes

It is in the brain… I am sure of it. The brain is damaged.

1 Like