Anyone been tested for adhd?

How did it go? What can I expect? I have my testing on Wednesday

3 Likes

No I’ve often wondered if I have it, but never been tested. I’d be interested to hear what it’s like from you, after you’ve been.

2 Likes

My mom got tested for ADHD. They basically sit you down and have you fill out multiple choice questions based on your thoughts and behaviours. Should only take a couple hours max.

She tested positive btw :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

yea they gave me such a questionary before too… they said i have ADHD too and then started me on ritalin and eventually i became psychotic again and then they took me off of the ritalin.

4 Likes

i was on adhd meds as a kid. only for one day tho because it made me sleepy and i threw up in school. i probably do have it but im not sure i can really do much about it while having sz

4 Likes

I used to be on ADD meds back, baaack in the day.

During those days, all you had to do was tell your doctor you couldn’t concentrate and they’d write you scripts.

I started out on Concerta, switched to Strattera, then ended up on Adderall XR.

Adderall was pretty good stuff, not gonna lie. It really helped, but I just never got my prescription refilled and ultimately stopped taking it.

2 Likes

I think I got a B- on that test. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve used Adderall and Ritalin recreationally many years ago, but it never had the desired effect for ADHD symptoms. Just was a type of speed. Glad I haven’t touched any in a decade.

1 Like

adderall beads in applesauce taste so bad, i rather have swallowed the whole pill than be given adderall sauce by my mom

1 Like

I was diagnosed with ADHD after switching to a new pdoc about a year ago. Was prescribed a very baby dose of adderall. My doctor has been watching me very closely for signs of mania/psychosis, but so far i haven’t had any. As a turn of surprise, the adderall has been helping me sleep better (apparently that’s unusual). Since lack of sleep has been the main trigger for my psych symptoms, and I haven’t had any psychosis symproms in roughly 4 years, my doc thought it was worth the risk in my specific case. But adderall can be very dangerous to mix with psychosis, and I don’t think many doctors will do it unless they really trust you to self-report.

There are other, non-stimulant ADHD meds that can be less risky for someone with psychosis. Clonodine and guanfacine are two that my kids have been on at some point.

2 Likes

Yes. Twice actually, I was such a rambunctious child and teenager that they suspected it. When I was first tested in the 80s I don’t remember how it went but they put me on meds and I went off the wall with it. Then when I was around 13 or so my teacher asked my mom if I was ever tested and they tested and put me on meds again. Went off the wall again so they never put me on ADHD meds again.

But, the testing is easy you have nothing to worry about and testing is far more accurate than it was the two times in was tested.

1 Like

Yes I was diagnosed with ADHD but I stopped taking the pills…I have been on ritalin, adderall, and vyvanse. Vyvanse was the most effective for me. Current pdoc wont put me on them because of all the addicts around he says its a liability.

Vyvanse helped me with anxiety, being more active, and focus/confidence. It helped me learn to drive a car, stay on top of my classes in college, etc now that Im not prescribed it I cant do all those things. I can still drive a car–but not in the city as well–I can still try doing school work–but Im not as focused as I used to be i wont get straight A’s.

1 Like

So adhd medication can be a game changer. It was temporary for me but worth it…I wish I had never taken myself off the pills because now every psychiatrist assumes I was taken off them not that i chose to take myself off them and not be dependent on medication to focus.

You do have to be careful… but adderall and vyvanse were the most effective it didn’t make me psychotic that I remember. It was more like a relief. It got rid of thought insertion and boosted my confidence. I thought before that I would just wreck the car and was terrified and when I passed with flying colors after being put on vyvanse I realized I could drive.

Other meds IMO are more dangerous ie anti-depressants and SNRI’s for me they dont work. I dont see why doctors are quick to prescribe them but not stimulants I think stimulants are safer and both are dangerous in high amounts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.