Anybody love music as a coping mechanism?

“Anybody love music as a coping mechanism?”

loud music has not been too kind in my old neighborhood, as I heard it during the worst times. I listen to my own music to drown out the loud music.

if I didn’t have headphones, I’d be kjdnksjdnsakjdnask

Yeah and I used to sometimes get an elevated mood from it. I mean maybe happy is a better way to put it. I found there was so much out there when I got a music subscription service and did some research on Wikipedia and Lastfm.

I actually made an aggrotech track about an instance when I was a teen and was hospitalized out of state where they just belted me down completely immobile in total darkness when I hadn’t done or even said a thing. This was like immediately upon arriving on the floor. I was left there for hours.

That may be a little off topic for this thread but I guess it sort of isn’t.

1 Like

I love music and have my whole life. I listen to it every day. Sometimes I think there is a message in the music for me but that has gotten less and less over the last couple years (since I was dx)

1 Like

i listen to music all day it makes me feel so peaceful.

1 Like

i listen to my iPod all day long whenever i am out and about. it helps me to keep the voices and the ruminations in my head away if i just focus on singing along with the songs. it doesnt work 100% but it does really help.

daisy mae

i also love music as a helping tool and as extreme pleasure for me. however i don’t like to be overly dependant on it which i am at this juncture. i am looking into other avenues of escape and pleasure.

hugs, judy

unfortunately, I can no longer feel the music…

1 Like

Music is very good for my emotions. I listen to most genres.

1 Like

I listen to music for most of the day but the same music over and over I start to not even hear it anymore when I’m doing stuff on my computer

2 Likes

I was addicted to music and didn’t feel safe when I wasn’t constantly listening. Now, I try more to enjoy it. I have more time doing something else. But I love the mentality of rock, punk, metal, and hip-hop. It still helps me escape.

I like all kinds of instrumental music … classical, jazz, new age, techno, whatever, but start singing and I’ll tune you right out and turn you right off.

I don’t care for songs. I’m not interested in what’s on your mind. I’m interested in what’s in mine.

I listen to a lot because I do not have to interact with others, but I suffer from delusion of reference so it’s a double-edged sword in my case.

music also helps me cope throughout the day. love a bit of Elvis.

I had a phase early in my illness where I listened to a lot of classical and new age music because otherwise I would read weird things like double meanings into hearing lyrics… I still really like “Land of Forever” by 2002 and “Celtic Meditation Music” by Aine Minogue…

Fortunately I can listen to more things now without my thoughts going on tangents as much or at least spotting when double meanings are put there intentionally by the artist.

2 Likes

People here are lucky… Just a year ago I couldn’t make my mind “feel good” even if I put on the best music and took a bubble bath… My symptoms are getting better so I will give music another try. I like music like Kodaline and Lana Del Rey. I’ve also been going to a Chinese bubble tea place after volunteering and enjoy the Asian music there occasionally.

Yes, music is a panacea and can be healing. I used to play music (Clarinet and Piano), but now I find myself listening more often than not.

I have quite eclectic tastes in music. I like tape loops and sampling from musicians such as Steve Reich, Terry Riley, Jazz records, Classical incl. Alexander Scriabin, performances by Martha Argerich, Ravi Shankar, electronic stuff like Soild State Survivor. I can even listen to Death Metal when I am upset.

I love Industrial music but now that I have less hallucinations I’m getting more into futurepop.

I’ve been listening to a lot of Dixieland jazz lately. I’ve also been watching some rockabilly dancing. Nietzsche said that without music life would be a mistake.

I like to play classical on my keyboard from my lesson books, and contemporary light rock out of my Fake books. That’s mostly how I listen to music. The music that I play on my keyboard.

Music is an escape for me. I love music. It’s a way to connect to others. The art of music also shares crrativity

1 Like