Anybody had success with escitalopram for ocd?

Anybody has success with lexapro for ocd ? What dose u take ?

1 Like

https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/puarticles/citalopramandescitaloprammarch2012.htm

Citalopram and Escitalopram are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) used for the treatment of depressive illness.

A recent clinical study found that citalopram is associated with a dose dependent increase in the risk of QT prolongation1. QT prolongation is an established side effect of Class I and Class III antiarrhythmic medicines and a rare side effect of a wide range of other medicines that lead to cardiac dysrhythmia. For more information about drug-induced QT prolongation refer to the article published in the December 2010 edition of Prescriber Update 2.

The New Zealand data sheets for citalopram have been updated to describe the risk of QT prolongation, contraindicate its use in patients with congenital long QT syndrome and recommend a new maximum dose of 40 mg daily. Information on prescribing citalopram safely has recently been published by the Best Practice Advocacy Centre (BPAC)3.

To assess if this risk extended to escitalopram, a second clinical study was conducted4. The study determined that escitalopram was associated with substantially less QT prolongation than citalopram and was only seen at supratherapeutic doses (30 mg daily). In New Zealand the recommended dose is 10 mg once daily, which can be increased to a maximum of 20 mg daily depending on the patient’s response4-6.

Although other SSRIs are available in New Zealand, the relative risk of QT prolongation associated with the use of these medicines is not yet clearly defined. Medsafe is in the process of reviewing this risk for all SSRIs and will provide further information when it is available.

Prescribers are reminded to consider the risks and benefits of SSRI treatment, particularly before prescribing in patients with congenital long QT syndrome or those with multiple risk factors.

OCD is due to lack of activation of working memory. If do multitasking, remain busy etc then working memory can be activated more and OCD behavior can be reduced.

Here is a quick multitasking exercise. Watch a movie and during that time try to add numbers in mind (like digits of phone numbers) or some other tasks in mind. The idea is to make sure either of these tasks not interfere each other. This way distractability can be reduced which in turn reduces OCD behavior.

That has nothing to do with what she had asked. You always come back with off topic responses

hows it working for you? What type of ocd?

I think my OCD is a side-effect of AP. Haven’t tried escitalopram, but I seem to be getting good benefit from taking NAC, however it took like over a month before it started to be really beneficial.

I take Lexapro 20mg. No I still have ocd. It’s helped a little.