Any tips on making small talk

For tips on small talk…

I’d say… be patient… because other people get nervous too and end up talking about stuff that I have no interest in.

Ask simple questions to find the common ground. My sis brought home a friend of hers who I was sure was a stupid air head… (sadly my own prejudice) My sis asked me to be patient…

It turned out… the friend of my sister’s is a huge Terry Pratchett fan and we had a good conversation.

I like to ask others at times, if I am curious, what is their ethnic background but I would start the small talk by saying “Hey I’m just curious and if you don’t mind me asking ,are you part Native American” or German , South American etc… I am surprised that some people don’t have any idea of what ancestry their parents are. I am usually able to tell if someone is part Native American. You can better appreciate the mix of ethnicities here in the United States.

I am not blind. I respect everyone until I find something in their character that scares me. The others are the ones who deserve a lecture. They think they are everything and we are nothing, I have been treated worse than animals (I 'm not talking about extreme cases that include killing, but they can do such as this), so excuse me, but I can hate others as they hate me too.

I don’t want to live by its rules, then, can I?

just relax and be yourself.

I’m terrible at small talk. I’ve more or less gotten used to being alone.

Check on Youtube - lots of good videos on small talk. Just search on “small talk”

Here are some:

and another:

another:

I can’t tell you that.
im trying to avoid a logic of black and white.
there’s no such an evil person to ruin my belief in an essentially positive diversity of human kind.

im a small talk king

Ok. (15 characters)

I agree with the weather as a starter And acting friendlier that I really feel.Most times I don’t get past the weather.

When the other person is talking I sort of listen…until a topic crops up that I’m truly interested in, then I ask a question + a dialog starts for a little bit. And keep doing that.

This was hard for me to write - thus a difficult subject. I don’t have the them/me mindset. I’m just overwhelmed by my social /poverty of experience.

1 Like

indroduce yourself…iam…shake hands they should then say I am…be kind people like people who are nice.
smile.
I got these tips by looking up social skills for autistic people I am not good at this either.

1 Like

Ask the other person questions about themselves. People love to talk about themselves.

1 Like

It’s really easy to say to do this to do that.Sometimes your just not interested to follow this and follow that,even when do it,it seems fake and it’s not successful…

1 Like

don’t be afraid to say a little about yourself. what music do you like? What do you find interesting in the news? Are you “into” some new thing, some kind of personal growth that you are digging on and you like your life? I found some stuff, though it’s usually my thing and I’m on my own with it. Otherwise, if it’s just small talk, which I guess is just okay for passing the time. Everybody feels small sometimes, if they’re honest with themselves. No one is God all the time.

Sometimes you may not be interested - but ask about areas you are interested so you can leverage common interests.

Sometimes you might not be that interested - but thats OK - if you don’t try, you are guaranteed not to find anything interesting.

Its not fake to ask a question - its called a social custom. Like “How are you doing?” How was your weekend? What fun things did you do last weekend?

These are normal questions that everyone uses to start conversations so you can learn more about the person and see if you share some common interests.

2 Likes

when you feel the need or the want to talk, just try it, i just kind of wing it, i’ve been winging everything lately actually, its not forced just comes out naturally x

1 Like