Any teenagers with schizophrenia?

I’ll talk about voices… what would you like to bounce off me?

2 Likes

The hospital isn’t a party, but it really isn’t that bad. If you are honest about your symptoms, you’ll be in and out in no time. They don’t have the resourses to keep people longer than necessary. That said, it’s less likely you’ll end up there if you stay on your meds and remain in close contact with your pdoc. They may even be able to prevent a small flare up from turning into an emergency.

4 Likes

private hospitals aren’t too bad. Try to get info ahead of time. have your parents help you. Might be good to get a therapist, social worker, and a psychiatrist.

Hopefully you have insurance. Try to get on SSI. The good thing about being sick before 18 or whatever is you can get more benefits and more money from social security than us old folks. Sometimes your parents can give you their pension if they pass too. I knew a guy who had cerebral palsy and his dad worked for the government and died. He got like over 5k a month!

2 Likes

Maybe your mom can make some calls and look into finding some support group for you or maybe a day program that you can go to for a few hours a week. It’s really helpful to be around people who have the same problems as you and even if you don’t talk to anybody it’s nice just to be in close proximity with other people. At my job as a janitor it always cheers me up to just be around laughing happy people and just having making small talk with the office workers in the building I work in can cheer me up or even someone greeting me in the morning when I’m having a bad day.

1 Like

also ask your parents to look into disability trusts. sometimes you can get more money from your parent’s social security than just plain old ssi.

just trying to help…

1 Like

ive had it since 15 now im 18

1 Like

Hey buddy, I’m 16 and I have schizophrenia and in high school with it. It’s pretty distressing at times, but also good that we have it so soon, so we can learn more about it and lead a more productive life with more knowledge about this illness.

Currently I’m doing pretty well from a year ago, and with the right meds you can to.

6 Likes

Hospitals allow visitors. And big hospitals are really a lot like the outside world. People make friends, some people are nice, it gets scary usually only occasionally. It’s normal at your age to be afraid of being away from home. But a lot of hospitals are nice, safe places and like I said in another answer, a lot of people would agree that the biggest problem with hospitals is just boredom. Everybody inside is ill and don’t judge you. And most hospitals have phones, you could talk to your mom and boyfriend daily and nowadays apparently hospitals have computers and allow cell phones.

1 Like

Hello @Slothlover! I have adolescent-onset schizophrenia. I felt very alone, too! I was diagnosed at just 17. How are you feeling today?

1 Like

Yes my good friend who also has schizoaffective had to do the same thing. She was bullied really bad following her episodes for literally no logical reason and ended up having to be homeschooled due to that and her instability. But like I said, highschool is a TOXIC environment, particularly for the mentally ill. Once you get out of it people chill out and don’t constantly put each other down to try to seem cooler anymore. My friend who went through that ended up going to college and made some other good friends who cared about her despite her illness. So yeah dont give up hope just because highschool sucks. For people like us its pretty much doomed to. Things get way better afterwards.

2 Likes

No not at all it did for the first 2 days now it doesn’t

I’ve only just been able to reply it said I reached the most I could reply as a new member, I just want to know about what everyone else experiences

I would love to go to support groups and talk to people who are on the same boat but unfortunately where I live no one really knows about it or cares

How are you now ?

1 Like

What meds are you on my psychiatrist wants to change mine because they are doing nothing

1 Like

What meds have you tried?

1 Like

My voices went from all consuming to where I spent all day talking to the radiator to now in remission. Voices can be very stressful. Hang in there

1 Like

I am doing horribly today I feel like it’s all getting worse every single day

I’ve only tried quetiapine so far

They are disabling they dont really let me do alot of thing without being horrible and getting mad at me I’m finding it incredibly difficult to cope with