Any SZ's who make big money?

I made 40k a year for 4+ years. It was a sales job, about 30 hrs a week. Managed to buy a decent car and invested some. For part time I made decent change but eventually burnt out. Now I earn about 1/2 the amount with disability and a p/t (10 hrs/ wk) job.

1 Like

Makes me even happier to see youā€™ve achieved well! Well done both of you!

1 Like

Iā€™m treating having a professional life as a goal to seriously attempt. I have the luxury of being on disability to cover costs, while I try to understand what Iā€™m suited for. Right now Iā€™m attempting to study writing. Its slow going, but what else am I gonna do? I seriously imagine that I could waste my life doing nothing, and I donā€™t want that. Weā€™ll see where the wheels come off later I guess.

1 Like

Holy macaroni Batman! Well done to you and your husband. Itā€™s even more impressive that you did it with sz.

1 Like

I used to make a decent amount. Had my own business.
My work was spread out over some months were super busy others i didnā€™t really work (didnā€™t work winters) most I made before tax in a month was around 16k . , 2015,2016,2017 I avereaged around 60-65k a year before tax and after all expenses.some jobs I made 2000 dollars in 1 day. Itā€™s was a great lucrative business.

It kept me alive cuz it was so flexible.

Sold it in2018

I wouldnā€™t classify myself as having classic low function schizophrenia though.

Iā€™m more on very high function bipolar with psychosis or schizoaffective at this point.

My pdoc said Iā€™m too high functioning to be schizoaffective even though I had extended periods of psychosis

Iā€™ll prob delete this post later cuz I donā€™t want to be seen like im bragging. Iā€™m actually a very humble person

1 Like

What kind of programming? I tried getting into it, I just donā€™t have the patience/focus/cognitive function to try to solve problems that take days/weeks.
I like learning it at a leisurely pace though I made a rock paper scissors game with java lol

1 Like

I donā€™t think it sounds like your bragging. Thanks for sharing. I too am probably a ā€œhigh functioningā€ schizophrenic. I mean I donā€™t have many symptoms while Iā€™m on my haldol. Itā€™s still tough and I know Iā€™m still sick down under.

1 Like

Before psychosis I was earning $130K. Post the longest I worked was 6 months at ā‚¬55K. Now I earn ā‚¬25K on disability.

2 Likes

Before sz I worked as a gym manager and emergency physiotherapist (paramedic) for 30$/h in 2011.

2 Likes

It was a small gym in an airplane factory. Its a gym for ppl working there.

All my job prior to schizophrenia have been very hard and labour intensive.

Iā€™ve done painting and decorating, removalist and trolley pushing, and they all worn me out.

I now know my job should be something Iā€™m more equipped for, like music or art or something.

1 Like

Most I ever made was $10 an hour working for my step-father. This was back in high school. Heā€™s not doing well money or business wise, but a few years back he offered me a potential job making prevailing wage of 20-30ish an hour doing construction. I turned it down. I knew it wouldnā€™t last and I was really, really too sick to even know what was going on. Very nice gesture of him though.

He had a successful business for years. Made a ton of money. Not sure what happened to it all. I guess he lost it and ā€œthrewā€ and wasted all his money away over all the years. Never learned how to save, take care of things, or pay for things the right way.

I come from a poor/middle class/working family background. No education. I was supposed to be the first one in my family to get a college degree ā€“ upward mobility thing. What a shame and disaster. I graduated high school at 17 and dropped out of college in senior year at 22 before I could finish due to schizophrenia. Not sure why I did what I did. I did smoke and enjoy and tried pot but not sure why I experimented with salvia of all things and other stuff. It was stupid. Very stupid. No one deserves their life uppended by schizophrenia. Not even people like me.

So ya, I worked minimum wage jobs or slightly above minimum wage jobs my entire life preceeding schizophrenia/disability. All of it was temporary, part time, and crap. I had 3 jobs. My first job was during the ā€œgreat recessionā€ out of high school at a pizza place with no job experience or resume experience. Then I worked at Bed Bath and Beyond ā€“ Loved that, but the hours were too low and no benefits for 15-20 hours a week. Then the easiest and sort of laid back job I ever had was a community college tutor. It was nice! I loved it. I was late a lot to my appointments and never figured out the schedule thing, but I did it. I was too busy studying for classes. I even had myself tutored for Spanish because I struggled with foreign languages. I got an A.

2 Likes

I just claim Ā£1100 month in benefits plus the housing benefit. Tho i also owe about a grand on the plastic. Small fry for you workers out there - but anymore and i reckon that it would just fuel my drinking.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.