Any runners here?

Once I fix my IT band in my left leg from some deep tissue massages I am gonna run 3 times a week for 30 mins. For now I can’t run without pain near my knee and dumbell step ups used to mess with my left knee as well. Any tips for a beginner runner??

3 Likes

I always wanted to be a Runner. Did some intervalls before. Its nice But i like working out in groups more. Maybe buy a book about running?

2 Likes

Start slow and work towards an achievable goal

1 Like

I think I’ll just read loads of stuff online.

1 Like

I used to run on the beach alot.

I really miss it. I must get back into it !!

1 Like

I’m never been very good at running
I like walking especially on the prom or beach

1 Like

That sounds like a good amount yo do as long as you are not stressing out your knee. Just do what feels like the right amount which you will be able to tell by how you feel… Not drained from too much running. That’s the only way I could judge when I used to jog. Have you been able to jog before whilst in your med? Which med are you on?

1 Like

I’ve been off paliperidone since mid Jan 2019. I was on risperidone for 1 month and then invega 9 months from april 2018 til Jan 2019. I don’t have any schizophrenic symptoms luckily. I’ve never really gave running a go, but it made my knee ache when I tried it 6 to 8 months ago.

1 Like

My brother always used to tell me jog on grass instead of on the stone ground it’s easier on your joints

1 Like

Don’t go out too hard at first
also go with a softer start and a harder second half
start with run walk run
aim for a 5k not a 10k for your first race - but enter a race it will give you something to go for
it’s just a bit of fun.
try not to be afraid of hills (I avoided hills most of the time)
do it for love
just do it
if you can help it don’t get a fancy watch and don’t get fancy gear or supplements
shoes - spend as much as you can (eco if possible)
do bursts of speed (interval training)
get encouragement unashamedly
visit a running forum they can be really friendly
i ran for 5 yrs
my mum was like a coach with me
I couldn’t have done all i did without her
I appreciate that more and more now

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll jog really slow or run faster than a jog then walk. Eventually I’ll be able to run continuously.

Find multiple running routes so you font get bored on the same one. Also music

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.