Any Linux users out there?

I made an xfce logo on logojoy.com and GIMP’d it into a wallpaper. Snort snort (nerd)

2 Likes

I use virtualbox on a Windows 7 Desktop to run a Debian 9 linux image. I use Debian 9 to host a portfolio of stuff I am working on to show off for a freelance programming site.

I still need to work on the main page, it is a generic apache2 page.

I have been working on my site spidering tool that will extract desired information from the page and put it into a csv file to upload into magento.

1 Like

I bought my mom a Pi 2 back in the day, loaded it up with retropie and old snes games we own so she could play them at her house.

2 Likes

that’s awesome. Me, I’m thinking of buying multiple Pi 3’s down the road and using them for various projects/functions, like an intercom system for example. The one that comes inthe mail tomorrow I’ll just use as a backup computer.

1 Like

Windows 7 was my favorite Windows.

I tried installing a type of Debian OS called Pixel Desktop (Raspbian for PCs), but it really didn’t work at all, multiple things didn’t work and i just didn’t have the time or interest to deal with it.

pm me your site link if you want!

What about the legendary windows xp? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Second favorite. First one I used as a kid. In fact I learned how to create websites on an XP machine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire-5000-ZL5-AMD-Turion-64-2GB-120GB-for-parts-or-repair-untested-26/162648646681?epid=1065495402&hash=item25de9d6419%3Ag%3AARsAAOSwcdRY9aju

I’m not 100% sure this is the exact model, ^ but it’s damn close when i think of what mine looked like.

I still have a product license for XP that i may use in a vm. Do you think modern programs run well in XP?

mmm modern games does not (no dx10), there are no more security updates, it was not 64 bit and most ‘big’ programs stopped to support it. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Oh well, if I need Windows ill just use W7.

According to @azley they have or are working on a Windows OS for RasPi.

1 Like

It’s not to impressive. It’s made for testing applications. It’s called ‘Windows 10 IoT’ the IoT being an acronym for ‘The Internet of Things.’

It targets low power platforms like phones and tablets for platform specific bug testing. It’s not a desktop environment at all. It subtracts most all of windows leaving just the core that Windows applications are dependent on.

Looks like this:

2 Likes

My new favorite Linux distro: Elementary OS. It is smooth and the UI is more human and intuitive than xfce

1 Like

We are pretty much Linux only here. Mostly Ubuntu. I even built a wireless router and firewall with Ubuntu. I play games with wine and never boot Windows (I don’t even have a Windows partition :slight_smile: ). My NAS is some sort of *nix, not sure what type.

2 Likes

i don’t have a windows partition either, i wiped it off. one of the things i love about linux is that im not supporting huge, monopolizing corporations.

1 Like

https://brendaningram.com/article/ram-usage-of-various-linux-desktop-environments/
Though it looks as heavy as Unity…

I’m not surprised . I’m upgrading to 16gb ram in the next few months so it won’t be a big issue then

Why don’t you try KDE or GNOME if you have the resources? :slight_smile:

I’ve tried both of those , albeit briefly, and wasn’t blown away. It’s fair to say I’m blown away by eos, and won’t be switching unless I run into stability issues

2 Likes

Still loving Elementary OS.

1 Like

I’m trying out Pop! OS tonight. We’ll see how it goes. I’m sold on the idea of an OS aimed at developers made by a respected hardware company.

It’s just ubuntu gnome with a different theme… :thinking: