Any foodies here?

Wow. When I read what you wrote, just saying the names of the food made me crave some of that food.

1 Like

Not only that…I worked in a fish processor plant and they were selling Arrowtooth Flounder to Japan which mainly went for the sushi…

If not properly handled, the flesh of arrowtooth flounder can soften,due to a proteolytic enzyme which is emitted from a myxoporean parasite that softens the flesh when heated. This in turn lowers its value and marketability. To make it more marketable, arrowtooth is usually sold on the West Coast as turbot, although it is not related to the true turbot.

They did sell it as ‘turbot’ which is really false advertizing because true turbots are a much better quality flounder, while the arrowtooth is by far the worst quality…

And this pretty much says it here:

Arrowtooth flounder: A fish so foul it’s only good for bait
it has a taste that starving cats have been know to flee from. "Inedible’’ is the politest way I’ve heard it described along with “a detestable flounder with the consistency of mash potatoes and fish pudding accompanied by a castor oil aftertaste and smell.”

That observation alone puts it high on my power hurl potential scale.
http://homernews.com/stories/080812/outdoors_fish.shtml

Who knows, maybe it is better raw as sushi & sashimi since the softening enzyme isn’t being released by heat, but it’s still a rather nasty fish…I’ve ate it only a couple times and it is mush…not only that, the condition of some of the fish coming off the boat, especially the ones at the bottom of the hold are questionable…