Any foodies here?

This is my plan for dinner tomorrow… Well, part of it.

10-96

1 Like

Didn’t you used to be a chef, pixel? Tonight I marinated some chicken wings in fresh garlic, fresh ginger, soy sauce, Splenda, and 5-spice powder. Then broiled them for 7 minutes on each side.

1 Like

Sushi with red meat! Kind of a oxymoron isn’t it? But then again, Asian cooking was never my forte.

i like thai food spicy spicy

I just read-briefly, the definition of a foodie.
I love food yeah, but don’t get to try out too many different things anymore, even though the want is still there.

In th old days, we thought nothing of driving 3hours one way to eat at a good restaurant, and even drove 9 hours(one way) down to Southern California, Knots Berry Farm, just to eat their chicken dinner and boysenberry pie.
We would then grap an extra bucket of chicken and a fresh pie to go, and on the road we go back home, another 9 hour drive.

Silly, but we did this many times over the course of 10 years or so.

1 Like

Man, I love food, especially comfort food - but because I am overweight and diabetic, i have to keep it healthy.
Yesterday I veered off of my diet and ate some junk food - but its ok to cheat once in a while

Yes, albeit briefly. Broke my back shortly after getting my journeyman papers. Can’t do the lifting or bending required to work in a commercial kitchen now as the pain would be more than I can handle. Hasn’t stopped me from having fun at home, however. (Pizza dough currently chilling in the fridge.)

The only fish I can abide eating is battered, tinned tuna in a sandwich or casserole, or steelhead trout. The idea of sushi WITHOUT fish is my idea of civilized eats.

10-96

Went food shopping like every Saturday.
The prices seemed to just jump.

Hamburger $4 a pound? Steak $8?
I’ve become depressed about cooking after 30 years of it.

I should be vegetarian anyway when you take meds.

Yeah, and here’s what gets me… 53" LED TVs that were $1500 a year ago are now $450. The loaf of bread that was $3 a year ago is now $5 (if that sounds horrible, remember that the price of our ‘free’ health care in Canada is hidden in the cost of everything we buy). You’d think the price of the TV would be going up and the food getting cheaper as farming gets more efficient.

Of course, that’s our own fault for allowing people to speculate on food prices on the stock market. While I generally support capitalism, I firmly believe that publicly owned companies have grown into harmful monsters. They don’t create value beyond manipulating the price of stupid pieces of paper and this should be banned. If people want wealth, they need to create items and services of worth. Not trade pieces of paper, the value of which have been gamed by laying off staff and having the stock price bounce after the press release.

10-96

3 Likes

I don’t know if I’m a foodie… but my sis and I love going into an Asian market or an Ethiopian Market… German Market… or any other market of that nature… and buying something we’ve never heard of before and giving it a try.

Cooking and food shows is most of what I watch… channel 9 online America’s test kitchen. Love that show.

For what we eat at home on a daily basis? We’re pretty simple. Lots of noodles and fish… Mexican food and Italian food. I’m learning how to cook. I’ve never really done it before.

My sis is the cook. She took lessons when she was in the teen program at the community center.

2 Likes

I can’t afford to be a foodie, but I would if I had the money. I still make jambalaya about once a month. Made quesadillas the other day and loved them. Most of the time it’s “noodle bowls” or canned chili with crackers. oh well.

2 Likes

I just picked up some cauliflower that was turning a bit brown and some red peppers that are a bit soft. Browned them in the oven this morning while baking bread. Adding in some roasted garlic, roasted onions, and spinning in the blender with a bit of chicken stock. Makes a very nice, inexpensive soup. I find a lot of the veggies on the 75% off rack are still quite usable if cooked immediately. Have you tried that?

10-96

1 Like

Figuring I should repost the link to Leanne Brown’s site and free PDF cookbook:

She has put together a cookbook for people living on the $4/day SNAP program in the U.S. Many of the regulars here should find it helpful. You can still eat well while eating cheap if you use your imagination. :smile:

10-96

2 Likes

I’m not able to cook much. One regular food I eat is burritos - Got your beans, your dairy food - sour cream and your veggies - onions and tomatoes, healthy avocado. .

Baked potatoes w/sour cream or sweet potatoes w/butter - That’s it right now.

3 Likes

I see it says “COOK” …since Sushi often contains raw fish (Sashimi) I was hoping the bacon wasn’t raw!
I personally avoid pork but I bet that would go equally as good with beef .

Sushi was originally ‘chemically cooked’ through fermentation (leading to the umami flavour), the process denaturing the proteins of the raw fish. These days it’s just raw fish. Yeeeccccchh. I’ll pass.

10-96

i love food
i love food
i love food
i love food
i love food
i love food…mmmmm…

oh yeah…

i love coffee
i love coffee
i love coffee
i love coffee
i love coffee
i love coffee…

oh yeah…

i love cupcakes
i love cupcakes
i love cupcakes
i love cupcakes
i love cupcakes
i love cupcakes
i love cupcakes

take care :alien:

7 Likes

Yes. Foodie at home and am amazed by all other foodies.

I am making a seasoned compound butter today.

I finally saved up enough to purchase some Sun Dried Tomato Sea Salt from Home Farm Herbery LLC at Local Harvest! Gonna mess around with some Fire Salt, Dragon Salt and Jalapeno Salt down the road.

1 Like

I love food at the moment I like making curries,chapatis samsasas bhajis, pakoras and from authentic indian cooks on you tube I made momos aswell these are amazing you have to try them!
not enough people know about momos. theyre nepalise dim sum and you can by the moulds on ebay everyones impressed when you make them with tomato chutney.

2 Likes

I just got blood work done, and my blood sugar is borderline diabetic and my cholesterol is 270. Time to rethink my diet. The doctor recommended walking as exercise. I walk back and forth in my room because there are so many aggressive dogs where I live. He told me to lose weight, too.