Schizophrenia.com

Antipsychotics and mood stabilizers with the mildest side effects?

What mood stabilizers and antipsychotics have the least, most manageable side effects? (Topamax doesn’t count)

I take Saphris and Rexulti with very little side effects. And I take Topamax, why doesn’t it count? I know it’s not very strong…

Eh I mean I guess it counts as long as it keeps all your mood symptoms under control? My doc says topamax is usually more for migraines and not strong enough for bipolar symptoms

Also I’m thinking of trying rexulti, is there anything about it you like or don’t like in particular?

yea, it’s not very strong, if I were to go manic I would have to switch probably. But it helps with the littler mood issues.

yes, Rexulti stops my obsessive suicidal ideation, gives me a little energy boost and helps with feeling a little more in touch with reality. (things seem real, not as much dissociation)

but Saphris does the heavy lifting as far as my psychosis goes, it’s a great little medicine. And it helps me sleep. It’s terrible to take though, that’s why it’s not popular, most people can’t handle the taste.

I think it’s different for everyone actually. I’m taking Haldol with no side effects but most people do have side effects on Haldol. Geodon made me drowsy for a short time and then no side effects after that. I had no side effects when I was on Invega.

Unfortunately I don’t think saphris is available in the US :frowning: and I think haldol would give me too much akathisia. I’m on latuda rn and the akathisia is too much

All antipsychotics are harsh.