Antidepressants can raise the risk of suicide, biggest ever review finds

1 Like

Interesting. I’m thinking of asking to go off Effexor as I’ve noticed I’m getting a more beneficial effect from the sarcosine I’ve been taking. The problem is that the withdrawal from Effexor is something else, even when you taper down properly. I’m frankly scared of how I’m going to behave when I go off that med. I acted wonky the last time.

Pixel.

3 Likes

The only times I have taken antidepressant stuff were as follows:

Zyban: to quit smoking
Result: suicidal ideation

5mg of abilify
Result: suicidal ideation
Everything is OK at 10mg. At 5mg it acts as an antidepressant.

1 Like

I was on 5mg of Abilify. Didn’t make me suicidal. DID make me miserable. And tired. And hungry. And symptomatic as it doesn’t work as well for me as Geodon does. My nickname for it is Disabilify.

Pixel.

3 Likes

I keep seeing stories here about people on 5mg of abilify for schizophrenia. 10mg is the minimum therapeutic dose for schizophrenia.

I tried to get away with 5mg and it didn’t work either. Neither did 7.5mg.

Here’s the prescribing information from the manufacturer themselves :

abilify.pi.pdf (482.9 KB)

That’s not to say 10mg will work for everybody of course, but I feel if you’re using a sub therapeutic dose then you’re not really giving a med a chance.

1 Like

I am miserable without antidepressants.
To put it shortly, I’m like a floor cloth. That much I know.

1 Like

Until we get to a point where ADs work much quicker there will always be a risk of suicide occurring. This is because current ADs gradually get people better. There is a danger point when depression is lowered but not gone and drive and motivation is increased. The residual depression combined with the increased drive and motivation can be a toxic mix.
It certainly indicates there needs to be more careful monitoring of people on ADs.

1 Like

Also, psychotherapies help a lot with depression also. We can’t expect that a med does all the work.

I’ll probably still have to take sertraline when my sarcosine gets here because they gave it to me for anxiety in the hospital and it helped a great deal with it.

I need my Celexa. Without it, I sink into depression. I know. I tried.

It was hard getting off antidepressants. I was crying & had a migraine the whole day. Painful process, but eventually my emotions neutralized. I no longer take them.

I’ve had an interesting time of it with antidepressants. I was on an antidepressant when the illness began and for years I thought the drug had caused the illness. I later figured out that it didn’t but read later a warning on the drug that it was bad for schizophrenics. It was tofranil. I attempted suicide on that drug but later found out that what I seemed to remember that the dose that I took was the maximum dose they use now. So maybe that’s why I survived. Of course to show how less than serious the attempt was I took what I thought was the needed dose of antivert to keep from being dizzy. That may have been an excessive dose within itself. Appropriately enough I had a test the next day and with the psychosis and the overdose was in anything but the right shape to take it. As you may imagine I ended up flunking out although my grades were in the sewer as it was at that point. Anyway I was afraid of antidepressants for decades afterward and was non-compliant even though it was obvious I was depressed, and had anxiety and OCD symptoms along with the psychosis. I later also found out that antidepressants made me angry which made me more determined not to take them. When I finally expressed these concerns to the people at a Psych hospital they put me on trileptal which conquered the anger although I didn’t realize it until I drank a coke (caffeine also made me angry) and had no bad effects and later found out trileptal was the reason. So then I became compliant with different AD’s and my mood, OCD, and anxiety improved without negatively affecting the voices.