Animal Therapy Used To Help Patients With Schizophrenia And Bipolar Disorder

“The feedback we’ve had has been quite magical,” Hall said.

“The occupational therapists have told us that some of the men we have on the course never attend any group activities – yet they have come to and really enjoyed these sessions.

“A lot of the session is non-verbal – and people can just sit and spend time with the animals enjoying a quiet bond.

“The two dogs are very popular – but we also find that the rats in particular provoke questions and a lot of curiosity.

“This is the beauty of the work. The connection you get with an animal depends on you. And then that connection builds a bridge to helping start conversations with people. It’s a common bond that breaks down barriers.”

6 Likes

Andrey was up…good morning man …i am eveready for next big breakthrough in sz…i am waiting for it man…i dont know what else to say …life is preety hard here…

One of the coolest things to do in life is to pet a dog. I can’t rake care of one but when i have the chance I enjoy being with a friendly one.

1 Like

You are wasting precious time… Start CBT please :pray:

1 Like

My pet is such a nuisance. Have you seen the show “My cat from hell” I feel don juan would be good for it.

Although I do “look” much better since getting him. I compared my pictures from the beginning of the summer to now and I look way more mature. Not even much older, just more defined and mature. I credit Don Juan for activating certain emotions, feelings, thoughts in my brain for sparking this change in me.

Although gawd could he be annoying sometimes. Right now I think hes going through a stage. Couldn’t imagine having kids…

At least kids sometimes listen maybe though!??!?!?!

My two dogs are my world I’d be so lonely without them

1 Like

What I’ve read about animal therapy is that it’s not really therapy. It supposedly didn’t cause much positive change, it just relaxed people in the moment. Would be interesting to see if someone knows something about this.

1 Like

Could online virtual pets have a benefit? I’m sure such simulation games must be available.

This is true.
I got a rotty pup a year ago. He has been by my side ever since. We are besties :slight_smile: he makes me feel safe and comforts me when I’m sad or scared… <3 love my big Zeus. I’d be lost without him.

1 Like