Schizophrenia.com

An unfortunate revelation

So I just made a pretty ugly realization. All my life I have wanted to go into a feild of work that helps people. I bounced from school teacher, to biologist, and finally settled on getting my PhD in psychology. I finally set my heart on becoming a therapist or psychiatrist. But obviously, I am posting to this forum and therefore have been diagnosed with sz. I am very newly diagnosed so I only had very basic knowledge from school beforehand. I’ve just now realized that dream cannot ever come true. Conflict of interest it seems. Anyone got any tips on how to get around this? It doesn’t seem like Id be able to help anyone if I was constantly being influenced by voices and hallucinations. Ironically I absolutely love learning and dealing with the human mind, except when it’s my own ofcourse.

Paging @mortimermouse

Mortimermouse posts here and is successfully pursuing the same thing.

3 Likes

Yes! There’s hope!

1 Like

Here’s his last post about his career plans etc. But the mouse is definitely the person to talk to when he comes online.

1 Like

Thank you @everhopeful

1 Like

I have a 2 year degree in nursing, and although I am currently working as a Landscape Designer, I plan to continue working towards my dream of becoming an RN, because as an RN I can get work as an in home caretaker, so while I cannot get a job in a hospital setting (patient safety and all that), I can eventually get my dream job.

The trick is to never give up, but always make room for a slight change of plans. my first goal was to be a Veterinarian, but my grades weren’t high enough and I developed the shakes in my late teens (I hit my head and it caused some minor damage in my motor cortex)

2 Likes

yo… the world can take care of itself… and people can only be helped when they are truly willing to help themselves…

take it easy you know… there are no requirements these days… just don’t be a criminal

1 Like

The trick is that I am out of my mind and I want in other people’s minds

But seriously message me if you would like to talk seriously in private

1 Like

i’ve been thinking about trying counselling again, i did an intro to counselling course over a year and now i’ve been thinking of going deeper into it part time over 2 years.

1 Like

Being sz gives you a perspective other psychologists might not have. You understand what it is like to have voices screaming inside your head. You know how overwhelming our symptoms can be. It gives you valuable insight into treatment of the mentally ill.

2 Likes

Text book pdocs stink more than anything I know, might as well be a robot.

Why couldn’t you be a pdoc when your not “psychotic”…maybe partner with another pdoc?
00o00o0oooooo, imagine a 2 pdoc session with one that is textbook only, and the other who could actually relate.

1 Like

Wow, this is seriously encouraging guys. Thank you! I think I will continue on with this dream of mine💜

I would love to. Thank you:relaxed: