Americans lost $29.8 billion to phone scams alone over the past year

3 Likes

That’s nuts. They are getting worse too. I worry about my parents.

1 Like

Phone scams are really a pain. I block the number they are calling from, then they call from a different number.

1 Like

What?!

You mean I’m NOT the legal heir to a Nigerian Princess’s fortune??

3 Likes

I found that if you don’t answer their call, they will call much less after. If you answer their call, open the line, they will call more often after, many times a day.

2 Likes

The only problem with that is occasionally my phone flags a call as a scam, but it’s a legitimate call, and they leave a voicemail.

2 Likes

In my city here in Canada, my phone double rings if it is a long distance call.

When this occurs, I just don’t pick up knowing it is sales or a scam. Plus if it’s important, a message will be left for me.

3 Likes

For me they call from a number that has the same area code as my number. I only answer calls that are in my contacts, I reject all others as I can listen to their voicemail.

2 Likes

I do the same @Aziz

1 Like

The last phone scam attempt, I don’t know why I picked up, I think I was sort of hoping it was a job opportunity from a weird number.

They asked me if I was Diana…

I was like no.

1 Like

I screen all calls, been doing this since I was a kid, simple solution just don’t answer unless it’s a saved contact, if it’s important they will leave a message.

1 Like

Note to self: Start a phone scam business and become a billionaire! j/k :crazy_face:

1 Like

One time I saw an ad in the paper - Work for $15.00 an hour, and it gave a phone number and said nothing else. I called the number and it went through some offshore country, and they charged me $38.00 for the call.

1 Like

“Fraudsters are very good at what they do”

Not in my experience. Most of the time they call in very broken English. And it is 90% of the time very easy to see through their scams. Although, I’m sure that there are exceptions.

1 Like

Omg unbelievable right, this people have no souls, seriously unbelievable, praying on victim’s hard earn money, they should go to jail forever.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.