Schizophrenia.com

America is ‘Not a Racist Country’

I’m going to reopen this because it is important to discuss. Just keep it civil.

1 Like

people should be proud of their own skin colour

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

America is systemically racist. I think most of the people that live here truly think they’re not racist, but that’s half the problem. Everyone, even those of us that are anti racist, have hidden biases. We live in a racist society, learn from racist white washed history books, consume white washed media and news, and don’t get a true understanding of what it means to live in this country as a BIPOC.

3 Likes

I don’t see it as a white, black, Hispanic, etc type of racism. People who are different are going to dislike other people who are different. In the 1920s in New York City, the Italians hated the Irish, the Irish hated the Germans, the Italians hated the blacks, and on and on. Point it, if you’re not of the same “tribe” you’re an outsider. This I think goes back to the hunter-gatherer history of common man.

yep, idk why people think racism as a whole means u just dont like a certain race and think badly of them, theres plenty of white people who have no problem with other races, but the systems and societal scructure, etc. are in a way that opresses black people especially, even tho many white people may not be racist in the same way,

2 Likes

Like, the war on drugs and mandatory minimum sentencing is racist af. Police don’t walk around white neighborhoods with drug dogs, but they do black neighborhoods. White people aren’t targeted during traffic stops to get their cars searched because of the neighborhood they’re driving through or three color of their skin. Black people are over policed. That’s why they’re arrested more. Not because they do more crime. As a white person that got away with running from the police more than a few times with no repercussions, I can guarantee that experience would have been a lot different if I were BIPOC.

3 Likes

Racism has become one of the most widely known theories that people subscribe to. Not just as being racists who discriminate against people on the basis of race and ethnicity but as the dominant lens for explaining social behavior. So the meaning of who is a racist possibly envelopes both the discriminatory racist and the antiracist, one is a racist because they believe in racial supremacy and inferiority and the other because they see race as the underlying cause and explanation for much that goes on in society. I think racism will gradually morph from the superiority/ inferiority kind which is an interpretive indirect reality to the perspective that acknowleges the direct reality that differences between people cause conflictual relations not the least of which being the theoretical ideas that they hold. I firmly believe racism will never go away and that everyone is a racist to some extent but i believe the kind of racism that they espouse will shift.

[quote=“Joker, post:9, topic:235144”]
I don’t think I have ever heard of a white person being mis-treated in the same way by the police?

I’m white, and I’ve had my ass kicked pretty good by the police. One time I was walking past a couple of cops, and one of them said, “Hey, George.” I turned around and yelled “Tom! My name is Tom!” They sprayed me with pepper spray, handcuffed me, slammed me face down in the dirt, and put their knee on the back of my head and ground my face into the dirt after I had been pepper sprayed. It
hurt like hell. I know of three other white guys besides myself who’ve been beaten up by the cops, one so badly that he suffered medical complications from it decades later. It’s not like white guys are getting a free pass.

No one said they are. We’re saying you weren’t targeted for the color of your skin. You were pepper sprayed because you got aggressive with cops that think they’re gods.

1 Like

I didn’t think I was aggressive. I was just trying to be called by the name I had been called all my life. The police knew I hated to be called George. This was an ongoing situation. They knew how I would react, and they called me George anyway.

And you reacted in the way they hoped you would. You turned around and yelled at them. Police have a major superiority complex and I’m sorry they took advantage of that too hurt you. But they didn’t do it because you’re white.

1 Like

I find the name “George” to be extremely offensive. You’re right. They knew how I would react.

Booker T. Washington (1865–1915) warned of profiteers within the black community in his 1911 book My Larger Education . He described them as “problem profiteers”:

“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs – partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.” (p. 118)

3 Likes