Am i on too low of a dose of abilify or do i need a different med

i am on 10 mg i have been on it for over a month and the voices were quiet before i switched but when i quit geodon cold turkey and started abilify after a few weeks they got a little louder and it kinda bothers me because hallucinations are my worst symptom and without them i am basically normal and i dont want to stay like this the rest of my life i

i am thinking of going back on zyprexa even tho it made me gain alot of weight it got rid of almost all my symptoms i dont want to be fat but i dont want to be psychotic either

do higher doses of abilify work better because i know it is a partial agonist and the med that worked for me was a antagonist idk i think im ■■■■■■

3 Likes

Well, 10 mg is a pretty low dose of Abilify. Maybe ask your doc to try 15 or 20?

4 Likes

One month on any Antipsychotic is not enough time.
I would work with your doctor and try to get to 15mg or above.
Give it some more time if you can.

3 Likes

im going to ask to increase the dose but when i was on zyprexa it only took a couple weeks to start working and that was the only med that has worked for me so far so idk about any other ones

I take 30mg aripiprazole at mornings, 150mg valproic acid+350mg sodium valproate, 6mg biperidin mornings and afternoons, 400mg modafinil in 2 divided dose,

Theres no voice and good cognition and motivation,

1 Like

Why don’t you go back on Geodon? It’s supposed to be weight neutral.

1 Like

This commonly happens when people switch from a different class of AP to something like Abilify. Geodon is an antagonist of dopamine receptors and completely shuts them down. Abilify is a partial agonist, which means it doesn’t totally close them, just mostly closes them. So you will have some more dopamine in your system after switching and initially you may see some symptoms re-emerge but once your brain adjusts hopefully you’ll be fine again.

1 Like

geodon didnt work well for me it made me angry all the time and gave me heart problems also made me have to sleep after taking it in the morning it didnt have any effect on the voices they just stayed the same

If you feel numb and can’t function like you use to it’s working.

1 Like

i have been thinking and i think i might just need a higher dosage i just read a study and a guy that was on 20 mg of zyprexa needed 60 mg of abilify for it to work well for him so i was on 10 mg zyprexa so maybe i need 20 or 30 mg of abilify for it to work better because i know the lower of dose of abilify the more of an ad it is instead of an ap

Yeah maybe give it sometime and a chance at maybe a higher dose if dr is willing to prescribe ?

1 Like

Abilify took about 4 months to fully work for me. Abilify is released in trace amounts. It does take time.

1 Like