Am i just a wimp? why do i not want to be in the military?

well my brother was in and always tried to get me to join. my friends joined after high school. i’ve always been averse to it, and preferred civilian life. i guess im just a wimp for having no interest in war.

and during super bowl sunday, i was talking to my niece’s boyfriend. and he was saying his roommate wanted to join the army and become a ranger, but decided not to because he heard, at the present, the soldiers are just sitting around army bases all their time, instead of seeing action. and i told him, " i think the only way i would join the military is if i thought i was going to be sitting around a base not seeing action" haha. i don’t know why these 18 year olds want to be badasses so much.

the military would have actually been a decent choice since i didn’t finish college, and worked ■■■■ jobs. but i could never bring myself to join.

1 Like

Can you join the army if you have sz?

1 Like

no you can’t. my brother said there is ways around it though. i wasn’t diagnosed until 27 and before that i spoke to an air force recruiter, but decided i didn’t want to join, i just didn’t have many options in life is why i was even considering it.

1 Like

The millitary survives by convincing poor 18 year olds to agree to expose themselves to unbelievable trauma and possibly death for less than minimum wage and free college.

5 Likes

a while ago i thought if i didnt have sz i wouldve joined the military. nothing i can do about it now, probably wouldnt have been good even if i didnt have it knowing there still could have been a chance it would eventually happen

1 Like

I never wanted to join military till I was like 27 and had mental illness so I never joined

1 Like

The military is not for everyone. :owl::owl::owl:

5 Likes

it’s never too late to finish that college degree!

2 Likes

yeah, my brother also told me about civilian jobs on bases. so i applied to change reels at a movie theater on a base in italy. didn’t get the job, but that would’ve been epic, getting paid to live in europe. im sure they went with somebody local or something. i also looked into working on military golf courses as a greenskeeper/maintenance

1 Like

It’s just not your thing and that’s ok. You’re your own person. You’re unique. And that’s good that you stayed true to yourself

2 Likes

I can only echo what @GrayBear said, it’s a lifestyle that’s not for everyone.

Personally, I think four years in any branch teaches you more about life and surviving than any college or university will.

It definitely builds character!

And not everyone in the military is a gun nut who wants to kill people.

3 Likes

I tried to join the Marines in the 90s. But I was a few pounds over their limit. When I just kept gaining I found out I was pregnant. So, no military. I studied law enforcement instead, Basic Law Enforcement class. I didn’t join the force, but came close to being a deputy.

6 Likes

You’re not a wimp for not wanting to join the military. Being in the military has its pros and cons, so it’s not something everyone will want to do. Just that simple.

4 Likes

The scars of war run deep and last for generations. Conscientious objectors have been around long before it became a classification. They were given alternative service jobs that could be dangerous. I knew one who was a forest fire fighter. We are intelligent beings and war, I feel, does not give ourselves credit.

1 Like

I drove three Army newbies in my Uber once. One of them said, “I can’t wait to get back and just kill people”. He was serious.

I suspect a lot of people who have a childhood dream of joining the military have a family member in the service and also have a lot of rage due to childhood trauma and therefore want to kill people. At least that was the case for me.

But I eventually took an oath not to kill but to heal people. So, that’s what I did.

2 Likes

I was a sailor and a Marine. I loved it. Did two tours in Iraq. If I wasn’t sick I would still probably be a Marine.

5 Likes

Good to see you back. Hope you are well. :pig::pig::pig:

4 Likes

That happens often in the military. There is a lot of hurry up and wait. When I was in, during peacetime a lot of us felt like we were unemployed. We’d be standing around the motor pool, and the younger soldiers would say, “This is too boring. I wish we could have a war.” The older soldiers would be saying, “No. You don’t want that. Believe me. You don’t.”

4 Likes

When I was in the Air Force in the Nurse Corp., during peacetime, I sure didn’t feel like I was unemployed. Hardly. I was very busy admitting and prepping mostly military retirees and their spouses for surgery. And caring for them after surgery.

2 Likes