Am i doing something stupid, moving away from my family?

I depend on my mum for company, some money, friendship, daily grounding i guess.
I’m 44 and mum is 75… she lives with my alcoholic sister who has just realised she should stop drinking daily.
I’m moving an hour away. Maybe it is not a bad half way point to my mum no longer being around, which will happen one day i’m sure… but
i’m moving cos of my husband’s work… the only reason i cited for us moving back to his hometown.
I will be the closest thing to a carer for my in laws… she is a cold fish, he is an old thug… I really dislike their meanness…
we are always bored within minutes when we visit… no one has enough to talk about as if that was the main issue with family!!!
It would be a house in a town i don’t really like but at least it is close to the sea. I’m getting a puppy, who will be disruptive at all times to the cats but i couldn’t care less, they are not really company when my husband is on nights… i hope that they get on with a tiny baby puppy, they are wary of my family dog.
He is such a cat person and I have discovered i’m a dog person after all.

The bus journey is an hour 15… and a journey each side…
it’s all going ahead. my mum is very sad about it. we have a great place to live where we are. I have a committed psych team… and she wants company with someone who isn’t a heavy drinker with all that goes with it

???

1 Like

You have to do what is right for you! Seriously!

It’s a tough cop. I live with my father and we do allright as we are both on the pension. It’s tough but doable.

Your sister will be self indulgent with an addiction and you can’t compete with that. Do what you have to do and don’t have regrets. An hour is a short journey to see your ma! Do that often and it’s all good!

1 Like

thanks so much rogue,
really helps!!!

1 Like

I agree with @rogueone, an hour is not that far away and you need to do what is best for you. I am sure your mother wants the best for you and you can visit her whenever you get the chance.

1 Like

thanks disciple,
i feel that i should have some distance to get used to being an adult in the real world

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.