Am I delusional?

My worst fear is , he’s (my brother) is gonna die young cos all he does is vomit and drink every single day. I mean EVERY SINGLE DAY. for the past 10 years. Refuses to do anything about it.

1 Like

No, that’s not delusional, that’s reality, he could really die from drinking or complications from drinking like that. I mean I want to be tactful and not say anything bad about your brother but if he keeps drinking every day he could possibly die in as soon as 5 years, and with all due respect, I can’t see any way he could last another 10 years.

2 Likes

I try to tell my mum these things, and she goes off with her car in a strop. I overthink things, but I’m trying to be realistic. It feels intense these thoughts though.

1 Like

You may be obsessing about the fears but it’s serious enough that it is really normal to worry a lot about your brother in his situation.

3 Likes

Do what you can to help your brother, but also keep in mind that he has to choose to stop himself. It seldom works when a person who isn’t ready to quit is confronted about their alcoholism.

2 Likes

I second everything said here so far. A close family member of mine has a similar problem. I don’t have to live with the person or anything, but I’ve seen it up close once (it’s a nightly occurrence), and it wasn’t pretty. Like @crimby noted, confronting him when he’s not ready to quit isn’t likely to be successful.

2 Likes

You might ask him if he is prepared to die in the near future. There is still a lot he could see. Personally, I’d like to see Europe again before I kick off. I want to see The Great Wall of China. I’d like to see the Grand Canyon again. I’d like to see the giant red woulds in the Western United States. There are a lot of things I’d like to see before I get too old.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.