Almost choked to death

I was eating chicken wings and I started choking on the food. I wasnt able to breath for 5-10 seconds. My mom was upstairs and heard me choking/coughing and screamed down asking me if I was okay. I eventually swallowed it fully and was able to breathe again.

Now i’m scared to eat alone… does anyone have any tips incase it happens again? Eventually i’m going to have to eat alone again, i dont wanna be scared.

1 Like

Has this ever happened before?

1 Like

@everhopeful - not that I can remember, no

1 Like

Ok, some meds can cause difficulty in swallowing. But it doesn’t sound like that’s it if it hasn’t happened before.

Best advice I can give you is chew your food well.

1 Like

@everhopeful - Yeah that’s probably what I need to do. Chew my food well and more slowly. It was scary. It would be a shitty way to die, choking on food.

1 Like

Here’s how you do the heimlich on yourself, if you’re alone:

And here is how someone else could do it on you, such as your mom:

I hope this eases your fear, a bit. I’ve choked before, twice, and my husband did the heimlich on me.

4 Likes

@Blossom - Thanks for sharing these videos, I will definitely check them out.

1 Like

When I was a smoker I used to wake up in the middle of the night choking on acid, sometimes for a solid 45 seconds — it’s a hard way to go :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Lots of people with anxiety issues like myself can choke while eating too fast especially.
You might be an anxious eater.

1 Like

@Wave - Anxiety sucks!!

1 Like

Its very scary to choke. Especially alone.

I’ve had to do the Heimlich on a chair back once. Was very unfun. I feel for you and hope it doesn’t happen for you again.

2 Likes

Thank you! @ZombieMombie

@Cloudd3ad - Congrats on quiting smoking!

I don’t know if you can sock yourself in your gut with your fist and clear out a stoppage in your throat or not. Personally, I’m more afraid of choking on things like stale donuts or potatoes, because it would be so much harder to clear the stoppage out with these things. Just be careful to chew your food thoroughly, and you should be okay.

1 Like

That’s scary. I have a weak swallow from a previous stroke. I had to be taught how to swallow again.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear you’ve had a stroke before. Glad you survived. @ZmaGal

1 Like

Thanks @TheCanuk

2 Likes

Again, I live alone and have big time issue with swallowing.
I choke daily with food.
One time was coffee drinking problem,so I couldn’t caugh it out, just thought how to calm down and repeat slow breathing. It lasted whole minute. Was very painful…

1 Like

You could ask your doctor about trihexyphenidyl. It is prescribed to treat that.

1 Like

It’s Artane, also antiholinergic.
Forbiden in my country, junkie use…

2 Likes