Almost admitted for the first time in 15 years

I made a thread a few days ago about how I wasn’t doing well. I decompensated last night, and went to the ER. They were very nice with me, and I did not get aggressive or uppity with them. Did the usual stuff, pee in a cup, gave blood, breathalyzer, etc. All that was good, so I was moved to the back of the ER where it was very quiet. At 10:30 PM last night, I was given 5 mg of Haldol, and 2 mg of Ativan. Forty-five minutes later I was GONE. Slept like a baby. Woke up this morning, and all the voices that had been telling me to harm myself were gone. No voices at all. I saw the admitting psychiatrist, and he said I was well enough to go home, and that the overnight hold was successful. At 9 AM, my wife was at the hospital, and I got sent home with a script for Haldol, and a script for Ativan. Came THIS close to being admitted for the first time in 15 years. Would not have been happy if I was to be admitted. So there’s my story.

9 Likes

I am really glad that things worked out for you Greg - Haldol sounds like its a good fit for you - maybe it could be part of your maintenance treatment plan?

1 Like

Yeah, the admitting doctor (who was not a student like my normal pdoc is) said that if I can tolerate it (which I do), “Hell, stay on it if it works,” to quote him. He was very nice and was pretty thorough.

3 Likes

I am so glad this worked out for you…

congratulations on that… it seems like you lucked out getting the thorough and mature doc.

When I feel the ground slipping out from under my feet… I tend to freak out more about the thought of going to hospital.

I admire you for taking the situation by the horns and going to the ER and being able to stay calm.

Glad your home and back on something that works for you.

1 Like

very very happy for you that you were able to “pick yourself up” and out of it.

great news.

judy

1 Like

that’s great. Glad it worked out for you. I hope the hospital bills aren’t too expensive.

1 Like

Thanks @jukebox. I’ll have a $65 copay. Not too bad.

1 Like

@anon40540444 I’m on haldol 10 mgs it helps a great deal along with the latuda 160mgs.

@cbbrown, Yes, Haldol is a great drug. I’ve been on it a lot, but I’ve had doctors who don’t like it for the reason of its side effects. I don’t get any movement side effects, so I am hoping I can just stay on it, and be done with it.

1 Like