All you former musician sz/sza's

If you no longer play an instrument, why did you quit? Was it related to sz/sza, or to meds? Explain.

1 Like

I played my guitar and sang up until about 3 years ago. I just don’t have the oomph to bother with it anymore.

1 Like

One of my AP’s, Risperdal Consta, seriously interferes with my ability to play my piano. Because of Risperdal, I sound like ■■■■ when I play. I know. I recorded myself. Ugh. I know I sound much better without Risperdal because I’ve heard myself.

I play my guitar and sing every morning for Angie before breakfast but I hardly ever play my banjo anymore…just when we have company usually I will break it out. I miss it kind of…it is such a heavy thing…it’s a $1,000 banjo a friend loaned me a couple years ago…I guess I would be more excited to play it if I owned it but one day I will give it back to him…he says he doesn’t want it back but still.

2 Likes

It has been about two years since I drastically slowed down on playing guitar. My reason is that there was a noise complaint in the apartments. Since then I’ve only picked it up maybe once a month for the past year. Usually during the day or on occasion when I have a few drinks or am invited to play at a family gathering. I’d like to play more often, although at the same time I don’t want to upset the manager.

Before I moved here I’d play nearly every day for about 10 years or so. I was much better at playing then.

1 Like

I have many stringed instruments: guitars, bouzouki, sazi, sitar, oud etc but I have lost motivation and pleasure

1 Like

I used to play the guitar before I realized I was a better wordsmith than an instrument player. :metal:

2 Likes

Guitar. I don’t know why I stopped. I’m going to put new strings on and start playing again. I wrote a bunch of songs when I was younger, I hope I can remember them.

1 Like

I just started taking electric bass lessons again. I played for a couple years in high school.

I can play the stuff my teacher gives me so far. It just takes a LONG time to get it.

2 Likes

still a musician and always will be :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I had to move cities to get cared for by my family. The city I currently live in doesn’t have an orchestra for me to play in. I do play in my friends band with my electric violin occasionally however.

1 Like

I was a music teacher in Los Angeles for 5 years. I did my degree in music.

However I lost my career because of psychosis. I ended up living in a home (board and care) for 3 years.

I’ve never had the motivation to go back to it…but one day I do plan to get a piano again and practice.

5 Likes

I quit playing piano because my ex hated music in general. Then I didn’t play the same when I tried to take it back up. I hate hearing myself making mistakes and my fingers are not as agile anymore. Then I started antipsychotics and they make me think slower so now that I’m ready to do it again, my brain is foggy and slow. Maybe I’ll just not play stuff as difficult, I’m not sure.

2 Likes

@ZmaGal, your answer helped me the most. So, what do you do? Do you just not play anymore? Or do you struggle on?

I just don’t play anymore. But sometimes I think about starting up again. I really should. It was such a passion of mine. I do miss having something for expressing all of my emotions and thoughts.

1 Like

@ZmaGal, What meds were you on that were slowing your thinking down and making your brain “foggy and slow”? Do you remember? And are you still on them?

I’m on Risperdal Consta, Geodon, and Seroquel. It wasn’t until I started on Risperdal Consta injections that I noticed my playing drastically deteriorated. My thinking was foggy, and much, much slower than before. I just couldn’t play anymore and basically, still can’t.

I started on Risperdal Consta back in 2008.

It’s happened to me on all antipsychotics, except Invega which I can no longer afford, and Haldol which I can’t rely on to be available.

1 Like

I tried playing music but my family didn’t feel like I was worth the salt, I guess, so I never learned. Maybe someday, but I feel like math is more important. Math and music have a strong relationship. Math was my focus and center even though I wasn’t really good at it. I was a late starter. I hate schizophrenia because it came when I was starting to do real mathematics. I have lost a lot of speed and ability and comprehension. The meds help and hurt in different ways.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.