Alice In Wonderland' Elicits Different Response In People With Psychosis, Reveals How Patients Process Information

So - what do you think? Ever seen the newer Alice in Wonderland?

Recently, researchers found that individuals with psychosis had unique brain activity when viewing Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland. The finding suggests that those with psychosis physically process information differently than those without the condition and may give clues into methods of early diagnosis.

In a study recently presented at this week’s European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP) Congress in Amsterdam, a team of Finnish researchers used a 3-Tesla MRI to monitor the 46 first-episode psychotic patients and 32 healthy controls while watching the 2010 fantasy film.

According to the press release, the researchers found that significant differences could be seen in the precuneus, the region of the brain associated with memory, visual spatial awareness, self-awareness, and aspects of consciousness.

In fact, 80 percent of the time the researchers were able to accurately classify the patients as having psychosis or not by just looking at the brain scans.

Read the full science press release:

More detail:

http://www.ecnp.eu/~/media/Files/ecnp/About%20ECNP/Press/AMS2015/Rikandi%20pr%20FINAL.pdf

Differentiation between first-episode psychosis patients and healthy subjects on the basis of precuneus activation

Aalto University, Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering, Helsinki, Finland;
The National Institute for Health and Welfare, Mental Health Unit, Helsinki, Finland

Purpose of the study: The brain basis of psychotic disorders remains inadequately understood. In this study we used multivariate machine-learning methods to differentiate brain fingerprints of first-episode psychosis patients and healthy control subjects. Earlier machine-learning classification of functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) data have mainly focused on brain activity of chronic patients and data have been collected during resting-state or simple tasks.

However, resting-state results are difficult to interpret because ongoing thoughts and experiences are likely to drastically differ between patients and healthy control subjects. Simplistic, such as working memory or verbal learning tasks, can match the experience between the groups but capture only a narrow field of information processing and may therefore miss the functions that are most affected in every-day life. Here we set out to unravel brain activation patterns related to naturalistic stimuli in first-episode psychosis patients and healthy control subjects. We hypothesized that brain networks earlier shown to be affected in psychotic disorders—such as the default mode, executive and salience networks—would be identified as discriminative features between the groups and that the severity of psychotic state would be correlated with the success of classification within the patient group.

6 Likes

Interesting. I don’t watch movies at all because I don’t remember. Everything is just a moment’s action.

a picture of me having a cup of tea :tea:
take care :alien:

It’s called Alice in Wonderland programming and it will entrain your brain.

HMMMM now I have a movie to watch this weekend. Thanks, yo.

I remember feeling tripped out when I watched that ■■■■ when I was like 16. I wonder if it will just make sense to me now.

Cheshire cats and mercury poisoning and stuff.

Alice is an interesting name.

spoiler alert…