Alcoholic and having urges to drink this evening

I’m having urges to drink, and have run out of people to call. It’s one of the things I hate about being alcoholic. You’ll be going along fine for weeks and possibly months with no urges to drink. Then one hits you out of the blue. I’ll probably be up most of the night because I’m loaded with caffeine right now

Distract yourself as much as possible.

1 Like

That’s what I’m doing posting and reading on this forum. How have you been doing @Wave?

Doing so so.
Hang in there @anon54988740.
Please don’t succumb to the cravings.

Tomorrow is a new day.

1 Like

AA chat room here, sir:

https://aachats.org/aa-chat-room-alcoholics-anonymous/

2 Likes

Sorry to hear it’s only so so. I’ve made my mind up I’m not going to drink this evening.

3 Likes

@anon54988740 do you smoke cigarettes? Do you have a prescription for benzos?

1 Like

I quit smoking May 2011 when I came down with emphysema. I take 0.5mg Klonopin in the evening.

1 Like

I know that feel. Ive been pretty good these past few months but occasionally i want to hit up my stash of vodka and weed. Itll pass though, it always does🤗

1 Like

Doesnt the klonopin take away the urge to drink?

1 Like

I haven’t heard that before. I take Klonopin for anxiety. Maybe the decrease in anxiety decreases the urge to drink.

1 Like
1 Like

0.5 is a pretty low dose of Klonopin.

2 Likes

When I feel the urge to drink, I eat something. Hunger is probably my biggest trigger.

2 Likes

Checking in… How are ya @anon54988740???

1 Like

I know how you feel. I’m trying to cut down on drinking and I’m finding it hard but I’ve gained weight from it.

Try to distract yourself as wave said. And think of the money you will be saving if you don’t drink. Maybe you can put that money to one side and buy something nice for yourself.

2 Likes

Dont drink mate. I was a prat and fell off the wagon yesterday, ruining a couple of months soberiety. And i know you done it for years longer than i have. Its not worth it.

I find filling my belly with juice helps - sometimes i mistake a need for a drink, for just being plain thirsty.

1 Like

I don’t have alcoholism. It’s a disease. I never hang out for alcohol. Sometimes i crave alcohol like craving pizza once a month or meat. I got an addictive personality towards cigarettes and some I can’t mention here.

1 Like

I’m an alcoholic in recovery. I don’t advise anyone with an addictive spot in themselves to use benzos to deal with cravings for alcohol. Yeah, they might prevent a seizure in the DTs, but that’s not the danger here.

When I get uncomfortable with myself, I look at HALT. I’m quite possibly looking for a fix if I’m Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. If that’s the cause of the discomfort, I deal with it at its level rather than using.

And, yes, I’m sometimes looking for a beer when my problem is I’m thirsty.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Sometimes a cup of decaf coffee at 6 pm when I wanted a beer would even help a bit when I was struggling staying sober from alcohol. And a cup of water maybe

1 Like