Akathisia treatments not working

When I had akathesia I took the med the doc said and it stopped almost immediately

1 Like

This was the reason I had to stop meds. They werenā€™t working for me anyway and the movement disorders were consuming my life 24/7. It was so bad that if I timed things wrong I had to get cogentin via and IV in the ER and I couldnā€™t even get myself there because I would be convulsing so bad.

Itā€™s hard to determine my root cause because I had been medicated so long and had a complicated medical history including my mom having taken Haldol while pregnant. Iā€™m retrospect it looks like I have had Touretteā€™s Syndrome since about age 6 that was dismissed as anxiety. There are signs of underlying neurological problems that showed in muscle movements and pain before I took my first AP. My docs now think that my system was so fragile that I wasnā€™t a good candidate to tolerate APā€™s, especially when prescribed so aggressively.

Even off APā€™s for 4 years now I still take 1mg of Cogentin daily and occasionally more as needed. I have had 3 rounds of Botox injections into my neck to help with lingering dystonia. I donā€™t appear to be at risk for an acute dystonia reaction but I will likely have residual dystonia for the rest of my life.

I donā€™t mean for this to scare you but you do need to make sure they take you seriously. I was brushed off for years because they said I had to take meds and it controlled my life. The threat of an acute reaction made my symptoms worse. Iā€™m taking Gabapentin now and doing well on it. It helps the racing thoughts, too.

1 Like

I appreciate this response a lot I hope youā€™re experiencing some relief even just a little. I have EMGs scheduled so weā€™ll see what happens then Iā€™m glad they are listening

Did you try increasing the dose of benztropine and adding Benedetto? That helped me from the pacing etc

1 Like

Risperdal ruined my days. I couldnā€™t sit still. Now I take 1mg of haldol which some folks here think one mg of haldol isnā€™t enough.
Do have a chat with your pdoc.

1 Like

Havenā€™t tried benedetto but did try max dose of benztropine and it didnā€™t really help at all

Vraylar definitely is the best so far

1 Like

Wow. I think you need to keep trying meds until you get one that doesnā€™t make you feel like that