Air plane...........owners

as to say. air plane’s are too cost to have these days and the ins too. has anyone try to buy a ultra light

1 Like

I don’t even have the concentration to drive a car ! :joy:

Aero insurance costs less than auto insurance these days. That’s because planes are maintained to a higher standard than personal vehicles and are involved in fewer accidents. (I sell it at my work.)

I could afford a small used Cessna if I were allowed to fly one, but my heart condition will keep me from passing that physical as the standards for that are much higher as well (another reason for the cheaper insurance). Maintaining a Cessna would be about twice the cost of keeping Vlad the Impala, but ten times as much fun.

3 Likes

You can’t get a pilot’s licence in the UK if you have sz. Is it not the same over there?

Well managed SZ is not an issue. I have a school bus operator’s license and have always passed that medical with flying colours.

2 Likes

It is a blanket ban over in the UK. :frowning:

I checked and it won’t disqualify me from flying, but would disqualify me from gun ownership (which I have no interest in anyhow). The heart condition definitely rules me out. I’m honestly surprised I’m allowed to drive. I have a friend who is kept alive by an LVAD and they let him drive as well, to my amazement. Of course he’s a bit of a freak and he goes scuba diving with his. His medical team has no idea what to make of him as he keeps turning down placement on the transplant list.

1 Like

@TomCat is a pilot. :panda_face::panda_face::panda_face:

4 Likes

If they had a cure for motion sickness I’d like to have got a boat chartering qualification and sailed the high seas.

1 Like

I’d love to have a powered parachute. Those would be fun. But with my brain I would end up marrying a power line or something.

If you are serious head to the Oshkosh air show every year at the end of July. Usually tons of ultralights for sale.

:+1:

1 Like

I have a pilots license and I am an aircraft mechanic. I want to buy or build a plane but I am waiting for the light sport pilot rules to change. It was supposed to happen this year but now they are saying 2022 I believe.

If I could get a medical I would still fly for a living every day.

As a sport pilot you need no medical. Just a drivers license but you have to fly light sport planes. Right now the weight limit is 1420 pounds I believe but the rules are going to change. I want a heavier and faster one.

5 Likes

I have a fairly significant phobia of planes, so I don’t think I’ll be buying one any time soon. Also couldn’t afford one. :blush:

@shutterbug . I really enjoy your knowledge on the insurance side of things. I love flying. It’s a throwback from when flying, for me at least, was a magical concern. You’d get a meal on an hour flight to Sydney and it’s such a cool mode of getting somewhere…

It’s rare for a passenger plane to crash. Way more chance of you having a car accident but still it’s all about numbers…It’s so cool @TomCat can fly. I really admire that…

1 Like

I would really like to fly and find it irksome that I can’t. I play flight sims a lot. Truth is that I could probably land a 737 if I had to.

2 Likes

I wanted to be a heli pilot at one point, but im 6’3 I think I might be a bit tall for using helicopters in training as I think the r-22 was the main one they used.

2 Likes

I wanted to be helicopter pilot too! But I would’ve probably had to join the Army and become a Warrant Officer.

After my four years in the Air Force I kinda had enough of military life, too.

2 Likes

Thats cool you were in the airforce! It must of been intense.

1 Like

I used to fly gas powered model airplanes. My depth perception sucks so I gave it up. Now I enjoy my remote control sailboats.

I took a couple real flying lessons but maybe it just wasn’t meant to be.

1 Like

Thank you!! :blush: it could be at times. It was mostly following orders though and sitting in briefings.

My career field was administration so I had a super chill job and was able to complete a couple degrees while I was in.

I knew guys who had terrible jobs like food services and cleaning out jet fuel tanks. They always told me how lucky I was to be in the administrative field lol!

2 Likes

Thats awesome, Yeah theres certainly some nasty jobs out there too :smile:

1 Like