Agitation/Akathisia caused by Antipsychotic?

I have been doing a whole lot of walking everyday - sometimes 10 miles or more - over 24 thousand steps!

I dont know if its due to being agitated, I know that on 4 mg of Risperdal I had considerable Akathisia - I am now on 2.5 mg but I am questioning if I am still experiencing some Akathisia or Agitation from the Risperdal at my current dose?

I do have the need to keep on moving - and my agitation and anxiety is relieved during my walking and afterwards.
I do most of my walking indoors around the House.

My therapist wants me to tell my pdoc - she thinks its way too much movement.

I have lost a lot of weight because of it - I guess that I should bring it up to my pdoc as it could be medication related.

I guess that there are positives and some negatives to all this walking - I do think its a bit abnormal -

What do you guys think?

I got TONS of akathesia on prolixin. It was terrible. I couldn’t watch a movie because I couldn’t sit still for 2 hours. I had to leave a couple times throughout the course of the movie. I like to walk a lot on abilify still…I wonder if it’s because of the meds, or I just like walking a lot.

I told my ex-girlfriend I was schizo-affective and then I told her I pace a lot a month later and she said “Oh I remember you telling me you had mental illness”. I was very offended. She thought mental illness=pacing a lot. My mom claims geminis pace a lot.

1 Like

It Is ,

I Was On Haldol Once Before ,

It Was A Nightmare ,

You DO NOT Have To Fight Throo It All Tha Tyme ,

Work With Your Doctor & Get Something A Tab Bit Easier To Deal With …

1 Like

Meds inducing akathisia as a side effect

Category > Examples

Antipsychotics > Haloperidol (Haldol), droperidol, pimozide, trifluoperazine, amisulpride, risperidone, aripiprazole (Abilify), lurasidone (Latuda), ziprasidone (Geodon), and asenapine (Saphris)

SSRIs > Fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), citalopram (Celexa)

Other Antidepressants > Venlafaxine (Effexor), tricyclics, and trazodone (Desyrel)

Antiemetics > Metoclopramide (Reglan), prochlorperazine (Compazine), and promethazine

Antihistamines > Cyproheptadine (Periactin) or diphenhydramine (Benadryl) (at very high doses)

Opioid withdrawal, barbiturates withdrawal, cocaine withdrawal, and benzodiazepine withdrawal

Serotonin syndrome

Harmful combinations of psychotropic drugs

1 Like