Aging gums?

My sister said something about as you age, cavities become less of a concern and the focus shifts more towards gum health when you see the dentist. I guess you don’t get very many cavities when you get older? But you have things go wrong with your gums? Well when I just went to the dentist here in July he checked for cavities but he didn’t really look at my gums. I’m not that sure if he is taking my age into consideration.

When I saw a dentist in Ukiah they really looked at my gums and measured them and called out numbers on each tooth. I mean it was very in depth. They said I needed deep cleaning but then Covid hit and my deep cleaning got cancelled and I moved back here before I could get it done.

When I went to the dentist here in July he asked me what I wanted. I said just a check-up. I should have said my gums need a deep cleaning. But I figured he would be the one to tell me that. So I guess now I have to wait all the way to next year, when my insurance pays for me to see him again to get the deep cleaning. Either that or just pay it. I might do that.

1 Like

I dunno leafy, I have had to have 4 teeth removed in the last couple years because of tooth decay so I’m not sure of the focus shifts from teeth to gums the older you get. I’m not sure that statement is accurate.

1 Like

If I had to guess I would guess gum disease AND tooth decay both increase with age.

2 Likes

Well he definitely didn’t check my gums very closely. I feel he checked pretty good for cavities. But anyway you’re still a whipper snapper aren’t you?

1 Like

I think I’m only like 5 years younger than you. I am 48.

1 Like

Wow! Your a young looking 48 year old.

1 Like

Thanks leafy!

1 Like

So I’m 6 years older than you, that means you’re a whipper snapper.

1 Like

Sorry about your teeth

1 Like

It’s okay, none of them were in the front so it’s not noticeable. Just that much less to chew with.

1 Like

I lost some molars from using/decay back in the day and I have to chew carefully. So I feel ya

1 Like

I agree completely

2 Likes

Well I don’t know where my sister came up with her theory but I know I have little flareups with my gums being irritated way more often now that I’m getting older.

Maybe my sister figures there’s only so many fillings you can get. Idk. Or she’s wrong, it happens.

All that aside, I need a deep cleaning. lol.

1 Like

My gums aged, and receded a bit. Then all h-ll broke loose.

Years before hand, a dentist was cleaning my teeth. Then she started asking me time and time again, “Does it hurt.”

What she was doing was using the scribing tool to scribe against several teeth just below the gum line. She did so until she was hitting the nerves. I had no idea as to what she was doing.

Years later, when my gums had receded a bit, and I was brushing my teeth, it hurt like h-ll when the tooth brush bristles were dropping into the grooves and were hitting the nerves. It took several years before the pain problem had finally stopped. I would say she fits into the crazy women category.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.