Advice for starting volunteer work?

This job is 4 hours a week, done at home over the phone & computer.

When I was doing my orientation/minitraining with one of the ladies, she said I did well, although, I still have to do proper training with one of the more experienced ladies.

I’ve done call centre work in the past, but not in this capacity plus it’s been a while so I’m rusty/nervous.

Any advice on sticking with the job and alleviating some of the stress with the job?

I’d really appreciate it…

Thanks for reading :sunflower:

1 Like

I tried volunteering at a call center once but couldn’t make it through training bc it was too time consuming :grimacing: I made friends with some other people in training and that helped alleviate stress because after a tense scenario I could unwind with them and talk about it.

2 Likes

I hope that you can try to focus on the value behind volunteering. I don’t know you but I’m very proud of you for getting out of your own head long enough to do this.

Try a controlled breathing exercise like the one I got taught. Just remember 5-5-7. Breath in for a count of five, hold for a count of five and exhale for a count of seven. Supposedly this changes your brain chemistry enough to help with anxiety, I admit it helps when I remember to do it.

Good luck honey and keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Yes, thank you. It’s for a cat rescue, so that’s why I thought I’d enjoy it. The job itself can be stressful because you’re dealing with folks who might possibly be unprepared/uneducated about animals, so yeah.

Your tip about focusing on the value of volunteering makes sense. I’ll definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks again!

and @Anna yes you’re right, some of the girls there are new as well, and they seem nice.

2 Likes

Ohh ok yeah I did like a “call us if you’re struggling and need to talk to someone” phone line. Cat rescue would be a bit less stressful I think lol. Good luck making friends still though!

2 Likes

So I’ve completed my first volunteer shift today, and it was mentally exhausting. This gig is not for me (mostly because of the owner).

I do better when I’m working behind the scenes with things like data entry, & light admin. I can only find this type of work with an employment agency that deals with folks who are mentally ill.

I’ll focus on completing my studies and inquire about volunteer/regular work then.

Kind feel defeated though.

1 Like

at least you tried, job well done

1 Like

Do you have a local volunteer centre?

I’ve been volunteering at mine for a number of years and I’m now a social media volunteer…

So I manage there twitter and Facebook accounts. Schedule posts and retweet anything relevant.

1 Like

Sorta. It’s just a place where they have a list of volunteer connections in the community. But I see a lot of stuff online asking for people to manage social media.

Thanks for the tip @JH85

and thanks again @tera, I did try!

1 Like