Advice for Friend

Hello. Being the only contact a foreign friend has in the medical community, she has asked me to provide advice on her sister’s prognosis. Being woefully unqualified, I am hopeful fellow panelists here can provide the guidance she is seeking.

My friend’s sister, Ashely, is 30 years old and was diagnosed with schizophrenia at 13 years old. She has been taking medicine for around 17 years. Over the last 10 years, she has been relatively stable while medicated - able to study, do housework, and even work. The lone side effect of the medicine requires her to sleep for 10 hours.

As shared above, Ashely previously could act and manage herself normally on most days; however, when the seasons change like now (from autumn to winter), auditory hallucinations become much more prevalent and stronger - like her brain keeps working even while “sleeping” despite having taken her medicine.

I am unsure of the exact dosing, but Ashely currently is taking 5 clozapine pills and 1 pill each of clonazepam, sodium valproate, and melatonin daily. To address the recently intensified auditory hallucinations, the doctor has advised to increase her clozapine to 6-7 pills/day.

Questions:

1. What other medicines are effective for auditory hallucinations, if any? How long can such medicines be taken safely and remain effective?

2… Can yoga reduce “the sound in [Ashely’s] head”? What other activities could help in Ashely’s situation?

Thank you, in advance, for your attention and suggestions. My friend is willing to correspond directly with any professional who can help her sister - providing more details than what I currently know.

I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Volunteer Moderator
@DearZombie

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.